LG TVs have held a strong position in the market for many years. Like the rest of LG’s products, their TVs are known for their amazing quality. There are virtually no customers who complain about sound or picture quality. However, if you buy one of the latest models of this company, you may encounter an unexpected issue related to viewing any content.
The fact is that the latest LG TV models have an advertising function. While watching your favorite show or movie, pop-ups can ruin the experience of watching and listening. You can learn how to block pop-ups just in case. If you block this feature once, you can make using your TV much easier and more enjoyable.
What can cause ads on LG TV?
Before you go on to solve the problem, you need to understand what causes the pop-ups to appear. The fact that due to the cause of their appearance, ways of solving the problem may also differ.
It’s very important to know exactly what is the source of the pop-up notifications. Only then you’ll certainly once and for all be able to eliminate the problem.
Sometimes it may even be that there can be several sources. Then you need to deal separately with each of them.
- How to install ESPN app on your LG Smart TV
- How to install Peacock on LG Smart TV
- How to connect a bluetooth keyboard, gamepad, mouse to LG TV
How to turn off pop-ups on LG TV?
The first thing that can cause pop-ups is if you didn’t set the TV to home mode after you bought it. The thing is, when any TV is in store, they put it in store mode.
Although rare, sometimes the LG TV is still in store mode when you bring it home. This can cause pop-ups to appear more than necessary. If you encounter this problem right after buying it, make sure the TV is in home mode. To do this, you need to do the following:
- First, use the remote control to select the Menu. To do this, press the corresponding button on the remote control.
- After the Menu screen appears, select “Options” from available functions.
- Next, select “Initial Setup”.
- Select the language in which you want the TV to work.
- Next, select “Home Use”.
This is the most common cause of pop-up windows on your TV. Unfortunately, it isn’t the only reason. If the TV is already in Home Use mode, or you’ve followed the steps above and still get popups, try some actions below.
How Live Plus can cause pop-ups on your LG TV
You may have noticed that after watching a lot of content on the same topic, later on, when you go to YouTube, for example, in the recommended section, you see content related to the same topic.
The thing is that search engine algorithms select resources that are interesting for you, based on your previous searches.
LG’s latest TVs have a similar feature called “Live Plus”. This feature allows them to keep track of what you watch and listen to.
Once “Live Plus” discovers topics of interest to you, your TV starts showing you pop-ups based on what it thinks you like, based on what you’ve watched before.
In order to stop pop-ups from appearing, you can turn off the Live Plus features. This way you’ll stop tracking what you like and consequently the subsequent ads as well. To do this, you need to:
- On the remote control, press the “Settings” button.
- Then select “All Settings”.
- From the available options, select “General”.
- Using the remote control, press the “Live Plus” item.
- After that, toggle the “Off” button.
Along with turning off Live Plus, you can also turn off personalized settings to limit the amount of advertising:
- Like the previous case, press the “Settings” button on the remote control.
- Select the “All Settings” option.
- From the list, select “General”.
- Next, select “About this TV”.
- Go to “User Agreements”.
There, you’ll have to opt out of advertising. If you read the information under “User Agreements”, you may find that some of these agreements are required to use certain features of the TV.
How to turn off Smart TV features on your LG TV?
The thing is, when you use them, the software can record what you do on your TV and then create ads that you might like.
Fortunately, you don’t always need to use smart features. Except for times when you’re watching streaming or using the Internet, you don’t need them. To turn them off, do the following:
- First, go to “Settings” on your TV.
- Then select the “Network” option.
- Select “Wi-Fi”.
- Delete the network password.
If you’re wondering why such drastic measures as removing the password are necessary, the thing is that smart TVs don’t allow you to disable Wi-Fi.
Because of this, the only way to disconnect from the Internet is to remove the password. If you don’t want to bother reconnecting the wireless network later, just unplug the router.
Of course, if you unplug the router, you won’t be able to use the wireless network, and if you unplug the Wi-Fi on your TV, both the browser and the streaming will be completely inaccessible.
So before you go to such drastic measures, consider that you don’t need the smart features in the following cases:
- You use a DVD player.
- You use an Xbox or other gaming system.
- You watch movies with an HDMI output.
- How to connect Alexa to LG Smart TV
- How to block YouTube ads on Roku
- How to disable ads on Hulu explained
How to block ads with your router?
If the above methods didn’t work, then the reason for the ads is probably not on the TV, but in the router. In order to successfully block ads on your router, you may need some training.
This method requires more technical skill than other methods, but it’s also one of the most effective methods to ensure that you don’t see ads. Here is a simple overview of the steps:
- First, open a web browser on your PC or laptop and type 192.168.0.1. Make sure you’re connected to the same router as your TV.
- In the appropriate fields, enter the username and password for the router.
- After going to the next page, find “Firewall” or “Block Sites”. Alternative options could be: “Content Filtering”, “Parental Filtering” or “Security”.
- After entering the filters, click the link to the configuration page.
- In the “enter keyword or domain here” field, enter the name of the IP address you want to block.
- Select the “Add” button.
- Click “Apply” at the bottom of the configuration page.
- Reboot the router to activate the new settings.
If you don’t know which IP to start with, the following IP addresses should be blocked for most LG TVs:
In case all of the above didn’t work for you, contact a specialist at the place where you purchased your TV. They may be able to help you disable ads there.