Not so long ago, operating a TV without a remote control didn’t seem to be a serious problem. Older TVs almost always had all the buttons you needed to operate the TV in a prominent place. Regardless of what exactly you wanted to do, just change the channel or adjust any parameter on the TV, it was easy because the buttons provided almost the same capabilities as the remote control.
Today it’s not like that. Today’s Smart TVs quite often have only one button, and it’s located in a location not the most obvious at first glance. This also applies to TVs from Sony. Now to configure the input on Sony Smart TV without using the remote, without using the tips you’ve to sweat a lot.
What you can do to change the input on Sony TV without remote
However, the task isn’t as difficult as it seems and if you follow the instructions in the paragraphs below you’ll definitely succeed. For modern devices, there is hardly a situation that the developers haven’t foreseen. For any problem that may arise, there is a corresponding instruction, which will tell you exactly what you need to do to cope with the arisen situation. Accordingly, this also applies to setting up input to Sony Smart TV without the remote control, basically as to any other TV like Samsung Smart TV for example. This is a much more significant skill than it seems at first sight, at least for those who use or aim to use the full potential of their Smart TV.
It’s hardly necessary to explain how advanced your Smart TV capabilities will be if you know how to use the inputs. With them, you’ll be able to view a variety of content that isn’t available specifically on your Smart TV. You’ll be able to use it as a platform to view not only streaming content but also use it as a screen for gaming consoles or view your own home videos using storage media.
- How to turn off subtitles on Sony TV
- How to install ESPN app on Sony Smart TV
- How to reset Sony TV explained
How to control your Sony Smart TV without a remote
Before you know how to change the input on your Sony Smart TV, you need to understand how to operate your Smart TV without the remote control. If you consider this question in terms of the most convenient option, the best option is of course to replace your missing or broken remote with a new one. If the remote control is broken, you can of course apply to a service center or an electrical workshop. It’s important to know how to do it for many reasons. For example, you may need to sell a TV you didn’t use for a long time but lost your remote. In such a case, you may need to reset it.
How to control your Sony TV with an app on your Smartphone
With a lost remote control, it’s easier: you just need to buy a new one or replace it with an app on your smartphone. You can find the remote control at any electronics retailer or Sony store. As for the app, all you’ve to do to find one is type “remote” into the store search engine on your smartphone. Choose a Sony compatible app and install it. For that:
- As mentioned above, find a suitable app in your App Store or Google Play. For example, type “Sony Remote” in the search bar of your store.
- From the list of available apps, select any Sony compatible app. For example, “Remote control for Sony” or “Sonymote”. The apps are compatible with almost all Sony devices.
- Then, after going to the page of the app of your choice, press the “Install” button.
- Wait for the app to install and then open it. Connect to the same Wi-Fi network as your TV to use it.
- When the app detects the TV you want, select it. After that, you’ll be able to use your Smartphone as a remote control.
It’s very convenient because the button layout in these apps is exactly the same as in the real Sony remotes. This method is also good because it can become the long-termed solution to the problem. If, for some reason, your TV isn’t compatible with the app you’ve selected, you can try another one. If for some reason you can’t connect the app to your TV at all, then first try to repeat all the steps above. If this doesn’t work, try to use the method described below.
How to control your Sony Smart TV with buttons on it
As you know earlier, it wasn’t possible to change the remote control using the app on the phone. This was because technology was much more limited than today. Instead, the TV usually had a set of buttons, where each button corresponded to a button on the remote control. Previously they were in the most prominent place, typically right below the screen next to the big on and off button. Nowadays, modern Smart TVs also have buttons. However, for the sake of style and compactness, they’re placed not on the front but on the backside and not in the most easily accessible places.
Unlike Samsung Smart TV which often has only one button with which you can manage everything, on most Sony Smart TVs there are three buttons. This power button, plus button, and minus button. However, there are also models with only one stick, like Samsung. With these buttons, you can control your TV almost the same way as with the remote control. But it’s unlikely to be convenient for you.
How to choose Input on your Sony Smart TV with an app on your smartphone
So once you’ve figured out how to use your TV without a remote, you probably understand how you can change the input without a remote. The most convenient way for you is obviously the app on your phone. All you need to do is:
- Connect it to the TV.
- Turn on your Sony TV.
- Then press the INPUT button. The button you need will probably be on the layout you get on your phone. Its location will be different depending on what app you’re using, but you’re unlikely to miss it.
- Once you’ve tapped it, use the cross on the layout of your app to select your desired input from the list.
- Confirm your selection.
It’s as simple as that. After that, all you’ve to do is enjoy the content from the selected input.
- How to turn off ads on Sony TV
- How to get Sony TV out of Demo Mode or Store Mode
- How to mirror iPhone to Sony TV explained
How to choose Input on your Sony Smart TV with buttons on your TV
If the app option doesn’t work for you, you can try using the buttons. To do this:
- Press the power button when the TV is on.
- You’ll see a menu of actions in front of you. Use the power button to select the input function. For it, toggle it in the needed direction. If your button works a different way, then press it without holding to change an option.
- Press and hold the power button to go to the input menu.
- In the input menu, as before, use the stick to select the desired input.
- To confirm your selection, press and hold the power button.
If you’ve three buttons on your TV, you’ll need to use the plus and minus buttons to select the desired option. Confirm your selection using the power button as well.