Sony Smart TVs are known for their high-quality picture and sound. However, like any electronic device, they can sometimes experience glitches or freeze, requiring a restart. In this article, I will explain how to restart the Sony Smart TV in different ways
Restarting your Sony Smart TV can help resolve software glitches, network connection issues, application issues, and system updates. Different ways to restart your Sony Smart TV include a soft restart, a power restart, and a factory reset. Before restarting your device, take the necessary precautions to avoid damaging your device or losing important data. By following the steps and precautions outlined in this article, you can restart your Sony Smart TV easily and get back to enjoying your favorite shows and movies.
What you need to do before restarting Sony Smart TV
Before you restart your Sony Smart TV, the manufacturer recommends removing all external USB devices. This is because when you restart your Sony Smart TV, it may take the files on external USB devices as firmware and try to install them on your Sony Smart TV. This may cause freezes and bugs on your Smart TV.
Also, you should understand that any programs running on your Sony Smart TV will be closed when you restart. So if you for example are watching some video on YouTube, then you should pause it so the service can correctly save the timecode and you can continue watching exactly where you stopped it last time.
How to soft and power restart Sony Smart TV
Restarting a Sony Smart TV can help resolve network connectivity problems, application glitches, software updates, or freezing screens. Two main ways to restart a Sony Smart TV are using a power button on the remote and via settings. To do this you need the following:
- Press and hold the power button on the TV or remote control for about 5 seconds.
- The TV will turn off, and the standby light will start blinking.
- Wait about 30 seconds to 1 minute, then press the power button again to turn on the TV.
Alternatively, you can perform a soft restart if your Sony Smart TV has a Restart option in the settings menu. Here are the steps to access the Restart option:
- Press the Home button on the remote control to access the home screen.
- Select Settings from the menu, and then select System.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the list, and select Restart.
- Confirm the restart by selecting Restart.
Also if the bug or problem is not solved after restarting, it is recommended to disconnect your TV from the power supply for 30 seconds and reconnect it. This may help fix some problems with exceptional cases.
How to factory reset Sony Smart TV using remote
If restarting did not help in your case, you may want to reset your Sony Smart TV to factory settings. This will solve most errors that may have occurred while using your TV. Different models of Sony Smart TV may have slight differences in the menu. Remember that if you do a Factory Reset, all of your account and app data will be deleted and your Smart TV will be reset just like out of the box.There are 3 ways you can perform a Factory Reset on the official Sony website:
How to factory reset Sony Smart TV using the Home button
- Press the Quick Settings or HOME button on your TV’s remote control.
- Select Settings.
- Next, depending on your Sony Smart TV, choose System → About or Device Preferences or Storage & reset.
- Choose Reset and then select Factory data reset.
- Here press Erase everything and confirm your choice with Yes.
How to factory reset Sony Smart TV using the Action button
If the Home button on your remote does not work or the bug with your Sony Smart TV is that you can not open the home menu, there is an alternative way to reset your Sony Smart TV to the factory settings:
- Press the ACTION MENU button.
- Next, select Settings and go to Device Preferences.
- In this menu, you must choose Select System → About or Select Device Preferences, depending on your Sony Smart TV.
- Here press Reset and choose Factory data reset.
- To start Factory resetting, choose Erase everything and confirm your action with Yes.
If the remote control has the ACTION MENU or (Quick Settings) button and there is NO response, follow the steps below:
- Press the HELP or the Input button on the remote control.
- Then select Help.
- Here select Manual (Help Guide) and then choose Settings.
- Next, go to System, then About.
- In this menu, select Reset and go to Factory data reset.
- Press Erase everything and confirm with Yes.
How to factory reset Sony Smart TV using Help button
Some remotes and Sony Smart TV may not support the methods described above, in which case you should try these instructions:
- On the Sony TV remote, press the HELP button.
- Under How to use your TV, select Help Guide (Manual).
- Select Settings and then Configuring the TV.
- Here choose Watching TV or TV.
- Next, click on Settings.
- Select Device Preferences or Select Storage & Reset and go to Reset.
- Finally, choose Factory data reset and Erase everything. After that, confirm with Yes.
I would also like to draw your attention once again to the fact that when you reset all of your personal data on your TV will be deleted. This means that all non-standard applications you downloaded and your accounts will be deleted. You should take care beforehand to remember all passwords and the list of applications installed on your Sony Smart TV. This will help you to set up your Smart TV faster after the reset.
How to force factory reset Sony Smart TV without remote
Performing a factory reset on your Sony Smart TV without a remote may seem challenging, but it’s possible by using the physical buttons on the TV. A forced factory reset will erase all user data, including settings, installed apps, and login credentials, and restore the TV to its original factory settings. Just like in the previous section, you have 3 different variations of the Sony Smart TV: with one button on the body, with three or four buttons. The instructions for different Sony Smart TVs will be different. Here are the steps to perform a forced factory reset:
How to force factory reset Sony Smart TV with one button
- Unplug the TV AC power cord from the electrical socket.
- Press and hold the Power button on the TV body, then plug the AC power cord back in, while holding the power button. Continue to hold the button down until the white LED light appears. The LED light will take approximately 10-30 seconds to turn white.
- Release the button after the white LED light appears.
- Wait a few minutes for the forced Factory reset process to finish.
- The TV will reboot twice.
- Then press the Power button if it doesn’t turn on automatically.
When the Welcome setup screen appears, the factory reset ends, and you can start the setup.
How to force factory reset Sony Smart TV with three button
- Unplug the TV’s AC power cord from the electrical socket.
- Simultaneously press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons on the TV body, and then plug the AC power cord back in. Continue to hold the buttons down until Erasing screen appears.
- Release the buttons after the Erasing screen appears.
- Wait a few minutes for the Factory data reset process to finish.
- The TV should reboot automatically.
- Then press the Power button and start setup.
How to force factory reset Sony Smart TV with four buttons
- Unplug the TV AC power cord from the electrical socket.
- Simultaneously press and hold down the Power and Volume Down (-) buttons on the TV body. (not on the remote)
- Then plug the AC power cord back in while you hold Power and Volume buttons. Hold the buttons until the green light appears on the front center side of your Sony TV. It takes 10-30 seconds for this. If the green light doesn’t appear, repeat everything starting step 1.
- Release the buttons after the green LED light appears.
- Wait a few minutes. The TV will reboot (turn on and off) twice. Welcome setup screens will appear on the TV twice. The TV will automatically reset factory data within one minute of the first Welcome setup screen. You should wait and don’t enter the first Welcome setup screen.
After the second Welcome setup screen, you can start using your TV and check if it helps to solve your problems.
How to restart non-smart Sony TV
Restarting a non-smart Sony TV is a simple process that can help resolve issues such as freezing screens, connectivity problems, or software updates. Unlike Smart TVs, non-smart TVs do not have built-in software or internet connectivity, so the restart process may differ slightly. Here are the steps to restart a non-smart Sony TV:
- Locate the power button on the TV or remote control.
- Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds until the TV turns off.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet or power strip.
- Wait for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet or power strip.
- Press the power button on the TV or remote control to turn on the TV.
Alternatively, some non-smart Sony TVs may have a reset button on the back. Here are the steps to perform a reset:
- Locate the reset button on the back of the TV.
- Using a pointed object such as a pen or paperclip, press and hold the reset button for at least 5 seconds.
- The TV will turn off and then turn back on.
If the issue persists after restarting or resetting the non-smart Sony TV, it may be necessary to contact Sony customer support for further assistance.
Why may you need to restart your Sony Smart TV?
You may need to restart your Sony Smart TV for several reasons. Some of the common reasons include:
- Application glitches: Smart TVs come with pre-installed applications; you may download more applications from the app store. These applications sometimes experience glitches, causing them to freeze or stop working. Restarting the TV can help clear the application cache and fix the issue.
- Network connectivity problems: Smart TVs require a stable internet connection to access online content, such as streaming services and apps. If the TV is experiencing network connectivity issues, restarting the TV and router can help re-establish the connection.
- Firmware updates: Sony regularly releases firmware updates for its Smart TVs to improve performance, fix bugs, and add new features. Sometimes, the TV may prompt you to restart after installing the update to apply the changes.
In conclusion, restarting your Sony Smart TV is a simple and effective way to resolve issues such as application glitches, network connectivity problems, firmware updates, power surges, and overheating. By restarting your TV, you can save time and avoid the need for more complex troubleshooting steps.