Many people find ads annoying and seek quick ways to turn them off. Nobody likes commercials interrupting the climax of a movie or TV show. Nevertheless, I’m not too bothered by them, especially on Samsung TVs, where ads are discreetly shown at the bottom of the screen and don’t bother users much.
However, you can easily disable ads on your Samsung TV if you have a different opinion.
- To turn off pop-up ads on a Samsung TV: Press Menu > General > Smart Features > disable the Autorun Smart Hub.
- To turn off personalized ads on a Samsung TV: All settings > General & Privacy > Viewing Information Services > Uncheck the box. Go to Interest-Based Advertisements Service Privacy Notice > Uncheck the box. Go to Reset PSID > Click on Reset.
- You can also disable ads on a Samsung TV using the router settings.
How do ads work on a Samsung TV
There are several types of ads on Samsung TVs. Let’s start at the beginning, namely with the ads on the Samsung TVs standing on the electronics store shelf.
If your Samsung TV shows ads about its features, it’s in demonstration or store mode. Retailers use this feature to inform customers about the benefits of buying the TV. They show you different beautiful yet high-quality shots to get you interested in buying that TV and compare the picture quality with other TVs. After all, TVs often show the same videos in electronics stores, so it’s much easier to compare quality.
The next type of ad on Samsung TV is the leading and most popular. These are the standard ads that pop up from time to time when you use your TV. It works about the same as YouTube or Spotify ads. It appears at the bottom of the screen and almost doesn’t interfere with the use of the device.
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to remove it altogether. However, there’s a simple way to get rid of it partially.
How to turn off pop-up ads on a Samsung TV
Well, you can turn off ads on Samsung by changing settings.
You should know that the TV show ads are stored on Samsung’s servers. You can turn off Smart Hub automatic startup to avoid seeing ads when you watch TV:
- Press Menu.
- Go to the General submenu.
- Next, go to the Smart Features section.
- Finally, disable the Autorun Smart Hub and Autorun Last App options.
Ads may appear when you run Smart Hub, so you should additionally disable ad permissions. Also, you can disable ad management by revoking usage permissions. To do this, you will need to turn off personalized ads on your Samsung TV.
How to turn off personalized ads on a Samsung TV
Here’s what you should do in order to turn off personalized ads on your Samsung TV:
- Press the Home button on the remote control, and then select Settings, and select All settings
- Go to General & Privacy.
- Click on Viewing Information Services.
- Uncheck the box next to I agree and click Confirm.
- Now go to Interest-Based Advertisements Service Privacy Notice.
- Same as before, uncheck the I agree box and click Confirm.
- The same steps are for Online Remote Management Service Terms and Conditions.
- The last thing you should do is Reset PSID.
- Click on Reset.
How to remove ads on older Samsung TV
The steps closely resemble the previous guide, with only a different starting point.
- Press the Home button on the remote control, and then select Settings.
- Then, open the “Support” submenu and go to the “Terms & Policy” tab.
Do the same steps as before: uncheck the “I Agree” box in Viewing Information Services and in Interest-Based Advertising.
- Next, go to Data Service in your settings and select the Expert Settings button.
- Open the HbbTV settings menu and uncheck HbbTV.
- In the end, go back to the “Conditions” tab in the settings. Scroll down, select the Reset PSID button, and click Reset in the next window.
With this setting, you will reset ad personalization and no longer see ads based on interests, which will significantly reduce the amount of advertising on your TV.
Please note that the steps outlined above won't remove ads within applications, such as removing ads on YouTube or streaming services like Hulu or Disney+.
How to disable ads on a Samsung TV using the router settings
You can prohibit access to Samsung advertising services if you’re an advanced user and understand PC network settings. For example, you can do this in the router settings. Here’s how:
- Open a browser on your PC and go to the router’s web interface.
- You can usually access it using the device’s IP address on your local network. Type it in the address field (e.g., http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1).
- Go to “Internet” – “Filters.”
- Names of menu items and settings may differ slightly depending on the router model. For example, on my device, this item is called “Content Filtering.“
- Select “Blocked Web Pages (Blacklist)” or “Blocked Sites.”
- Add the following links to the list of blocked pages: “http://ads.samsungads.com” and “http://config.samsungads.com.”
- Confirm your entry and save your settings.
However, I recommend this method only if you’re proficient enough. In other cases, turning off the ads in the TV settings would be enough.
How to disable the store mode on a Samsung TV
So, what’s the big deal about this mode? The problem is that it resets the Samsung TV to factory settings every 20 minutes or whenever you turn it off. It’s convenient for the salesman, but you’ll probably want to turn off the commercials and reset the function by switching the TV to dynamic or home mode. This is something you’re unlikely to encounter. However, below you can find out how to get rid of this ad.
Well, if you want to disable the demonstration or so-called store mode on your Samsung TV, you have to follow these steps:
- First, press the volume up or down button on the remote control.
- Hold down the “MENU” button on the TV when the volume bar appears.
- If “Dynamic” or “Dynamic Mode” appears after a few seconds, then the TV is out of “Demo” or “Store” mode.
This only works on older model TVs.
If it doesn’t appear, try turning it off through the menu:
Disable the store mode on a Samsung TV 2021-2023 year
If you have a new TV, disabling store mode can be very simple, here’s what you need to do.
left directional button → Settings → All Settings → General & Privacy System → Manager → Usage Mode
Disable store mode in Samsung TV by 2021
Press the settings button on the remote control (Menu button) → General settings → System Manager → Usage Mode. Enter the PIN code to access global settings, the default is 0000. Set Home mode.
Disabling Store Mode on older Samsung TVs without Smart TVs
- Turn the TV to the coaxial source “TV.“
- Then, select the “Setup” option using the up and down arrow buttons.
- Press ENTER to open the “Setup” menu.
- After that, select “Plug & Play.” The TV will walk you through the entire setup process.
- Finally, press HOME when the TV prompts you to enter the “Picture” mode.
Once you have completed these steps, you can disable the demonstration or so-called store mode on your Samsung TV.
The problem of advertising on modern devices is getting worse every day, and it’s becoming almost impossible to fight it. Of course, almost all popular services and companies offer to get rid of ads forever by purchasing a subscription.
However, this may not always be suitable for ordinary users, primarily if they use the service or device regularly.
Nevertheless, without ads, life wouldn’t be as diverse, and people wouldn’t be able to learn about some really useful things.