Ads annoy many people and they look for ways to turn them off as quickly as possible. I doubt anyone would be happy to see a commercial in the middle of a movie or TV series culmination.
Nevertheless, I’ll say that I don’t get too annoyed by such a thing and never get in the way of commercials. Especially since ads in Samsung TVs are neatly displayed at the bottom of the screen and almost don’t bother the user.
However, you can easily disable ads on your Samsung TV if you have a different opinion. In this article, I will tell you how to turn off ads in apps and pop-up ads on your Samsung TV.
How do ads work on a Samsung TV
There are several types of ads on Samsung TVs. Let’s start at the beginning, namely with the ads on the Samsung TVs standing on the electronics store shelf.
If your Samsung TV shows ads about its features, it’s in demonstration or store mode. Retailers use this feature to inform customers about the benefits of buying the TV. They show you different beautiful yet high-quality shots to get you interested in buying that TV and compare the picture quality with other TVs. After all, TVs often show the same videos in electronics stores, so it’s much easier to compare quality.
The next type of ad on Samsung TV is the leading and most popular. These are the standard ads that pop up from time to time when you use your TV. It works about the same as YouTube or Spotify ads. It appears at the bottom of the screen and almost doesn’t interfere with the use of the device.
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to remove it altogether. However, there’s a simple way to get rid of it partially.
How to turn off pop-up ads on a Samsung TV
Well, you can turn off ads on Samsung by changing settings.
You should know that the TV shows ads are stored on Samsung’s servers. You can turn off Smart Hub automatic startup to avoid seeing ads when you watch TV:
- Press “Menu“.
- Go to the “General” submenu.
- Next, go to the “Smart Features” section.
- Finally, disable the “Autorun Smart Hub” and “Autorun Last App” options.
Ads may appear when you run Smart Hub, so you should additionally disable ad permissions.
Also, you can disable ad management by revoking usage permissions. To do this, you will need to turn off personalized ads on your Samsung TV.
How to turn off personalized ads on a Samsung TV
Here’s what you should do in order to turn off personalized ads on your Samsung TV:
- Press the Home button on the remote control, and then select “Settings”.
- Then, open the “Support” submenu.
- Go to the “Terms & Policy” tab in the window that opens.
- Open the “Viewing Information Services” option and uncheck the “I Agree” box.
- Under “Terms and Conditions” again, select the “Interest-Based Advertising” option.
- Also, uncheck the “I Agree” box.
- Next, go to “Data Service” in your settings and select the “Expert Settings” button.
- Open the “HbbTV settings” menu and uncheck “HbbTV”.
- In the end, go back to the “Conditions” tab in the settings. Scroll down and select the “Reset PSID” button and in the next window click “Reset”.
With this setting, you will reset ad personalization and no longer see ads based on interests, which will significantly reduce the amount of advertising on your TV.
How to disable ads on a Samsung TV using the router settings
You can prohibit access to Samsung advertising services if you’re an advanced user and understand PC network settings. For example, you can do this in the router settings. Here’s how:
- Open a browser on your PC and go to the router’s web interface.
- You can usually access it using the device’s IP address on your local network. Type it in the address field (e.g., http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1).
- Go to “Internet” – “Filters.”
- Names of menu items and settings may differ slightly depending on the router model. For example, on my device, this item is called “Content Filtering.“
- Select “Blocked Web Pages (Blacklist)” or “Blocked Sites.”
- Add the following links to the list of blocked pages: “http://ads.samsungads.com” and “http://config.samsungads.com.”
- Confirm your entry and save your settings.
However, I recommend this method only in case you’re proficient enough. In other cases, turning off the ads in the TV settings would be enough.
How to disable the store mode on a Samsung TV
So what’s the big deal about this mode? The problem is that it resets the Samsung TV to factory settings every 20 minutes or whenever you turn it off. It’s convenient for the salesman, but you’ll probably want to turn off the commercials and reset the function by switching the TV to dynamic or home mode. This is something you’re unlikely to encounter. However, below you can find out how to get rid of this ad.
Well, if you want to disable the demonstration or so-called store mode on your Samsung TV, you have to follow these steps:
- First, press the volume up or down button on the remote control.
- When the volume bar appears, hold down the “MENU” button on the TV.
- If “Dynamic” or “Dynamic Mode” appears after a few seconds, then the TV is out of “Demo” or “Store” mode.
If it doesn’t appear, try turning it off through the menu:
- Turn the TV to the coaxial source “TV.“
- Then, select the “Setup” option using the up and down arrow buttons.
- Press ENTER to open the “Setup” menu.
- After that, select “Plug & Play.” The TV will walk you through the entire setup process.
- Finally, press HOME when the TV prompts you to enter the “Picture” mode.
Once you have completed these steps, you can disable the demonstration or so-called store mode on your Samsung TV.
The problem of advertising on modern devices is getting worse every day, and it’s becoming almost impossible to fight it. Of course, almost popular services and companies offer to get rid of ads forever by purchasing a subscription.
However, this may not always be suitable for ordinary users. Primarily if they use the service or device, not regularly.
Nevertheless, without ads, life wouldn’t be as diverse, and people wouldn’t be able to learn about some really useful things.