Google tries to make devices that run smoothly, but nothing is perfect. At some point, your Chromecast may freeze or lag. While simply rebooting the device may help, if it doesn’t, you may need to try more complicated ways to fix the problem.
If you’re trying to troubleshoot a technical issue or connect your device to a new wireless router in your home, resetting your Chromecast to its factory default settings may be the way to go.
It’s relatively easy to do and will only take a few minutes. So let’s take a closer look at how to do this.
How to reset Chromecast using the reset button
If you want to reset your Google Chromecast – follow these steps:
- First, hold the small round reset button next to the micro USB port for at least 25 seconds or until the device’s lights blink. It all depends on your model version.
- Then unplug the USB power cable and wait a few seconds.
- Now, reconnect the USB power cable to your Chromecast.
This will complete the Chromecast factory reset process, and you can start configuring the device as a new device.
Keep in mind that if you disconnect the Chromecast from the HDMI port on your TV, the device doesn’t reboot. That’s why you need to unplug it from the power source.
How to reset Chromecast using the Google Home app
If you want to reset your Google Chromecast using the Google Home app, you can follow these instructions:
- Open the Google Home app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Then select the Chromecast device you want to reset from the list of local devices.
- On the screen of the selected device, tap the gear icon in the upper right corner to open the Device settings.
- After that, scroll down and select Factory reset device.
- Finally, confirm this action by tapping OK.
Once you have completed these steps, you can set up your Chromecast from scratch. You should also be aware that this way of factory reset is only available if you can still connect to your device through Wi-Fi.
How to reboot Chromecast
Sometimes, it is enough to reboot the device to fix a minor glitch. So do the following to reboot your Chromecast.
Using the Google Home app
Before doing this, ensure your smartphone or tablet is linked to the same Google account as your Chromecast.
- So open the Google Home app on your mobile device.
- After that, tap and hold a Chromecast tile.
- Then tap on the gear icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Finally, tap on the three dots button (More settings) and select Reboot.
Via Google TV
Select your profile using the Chromecast Voice Remote in the top right corner of the TV screen and follow these steps:
- Click on the gear icon to open Settings.
- Then select System.
- Finally, go to Restart and select Restart.
As you can see there’s nothing complicated about resetting and rebooting Chromecast. In general, almost any system failure can be solved this way.
However, if the problem persists, the best solution is to contact Google Support or an official service center. For example, if your device is under warranty, they can fix it for you for free.