Vizio Smart TVs are an excellent choice for users who want to spend time watching their favorite movies and shows. Although they are budget TVs, they have a pretty good price-performance ratio. What’s more, they offer a wide selection of more than 100 pre-installed essential apps that can be found on the SmartCast home screen. Smart Cast is a Linux-based operating system for Vizio TVs. Unfortunately, they do not give you the option to download additional apps. You only have to download apps from the Vizio app store.
If the app you want to use is unavailable in the app store, it is still possible to access its content. You have to install the app on your mobile device and use the Chromecast or AirPlay technology built into the TV, or you can also access most streaming services via your computer. You can send video streams from your computer to the TV’s HDMI using a suitable cable.
How to install apps on Vizio Smart TV
Vizio TVs support apps from the most popular streaming services. If your TV supports an app you are interested in, you can find it in the app store. If you can’t find it, your TV doesn’t support the app. In that case, you can use the app to mirror your smartphone screen on your TV.
One of the features of SmartCast is support for the Google Chromecast platform. It allows you to display app content on your TV using a mirroring app from a compatible mobile device. There is no need to install Chromecast because SmartCast comes with Chromecast initially. When you start casting, the TV will automatically switch from the current source input, e.g., TV channel or HDMI input) to the casting source.
Starting VIZIO Smart TV
To start streaming with the VIZIO Smart TV platform, you must press the Home button on the remote control. The second option you can select SmartCast in the list of video inputs.
The available streaming apps designed for Vizio TVs will open to you. Vizio TVs are popular so you will find most apps in the app store. But since Vizio is mainly represented in the US market, the apps in the store are popular in the US. If you don’t have an app, mirroring your laptop or mobile device on the TV via Apple Airplay or the built-in Chromecast can help.
Broadcasting video to your Vizio TV via Chromecast
In principle, connecting to a Vizio TV works like connecting through a Chromecast device.
- First, you need to open the Google Play Store on your mobile device.
- After that, find the Chromecast-enabled app you want to stream to your Vizio TV and click “Install.” Once installed, the app will be available in your smartphone’s favorites list.
- You should then open the app, tap on the Cast icon and select your Vizio TV. If you don’t have any Vizio TVs or Chromecast devices in your home, you will also see them in the list.
- The content will then play on your Vizio Smart TV. You can continue to use your phone and unplug the phone or leave your seat with your device.
- When the show ends, the video content will be stopped. The content can also be stopped if you use the Vizio remote control to perform another process on your TV.
Broadcasting video to your Vizio TV via AirPlay
It’s a great idea to stream AirPlay content from the iOS app to your Vizio TV, as it gives you the advantage of built-in AirPlay and TV capabilities. So, if you want to stream content via AirPlay, follow the tips shown in the section below:
- First, you need to ensure that your Vizio TV and iOS device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- After that, you need to install the app that contains the content you want to stream to your iOS device and then open it.
- To complete the process, click on the AirPlay icon and select your Vizio TV. The content will then be streamed to the big screen.
How to set up essential SmartCast apps for quick access
Vizio SmartCast TVs offer more than 100 pre-installed apps. You can use them to watch streaming videos; you need to find them on the screen. There is nothing complicated about setting up an app selection. To do so, you need to follow the steps outlined in the section below:
- First, you need to find the Customize App Row icon on your TV; it is usually the very first among the apps. Activate the customized app with the remote control.
- After that, select the app and drag it using the left and right arrow cursors.
- When you are done, press OK, and the app will be moved to the position in the list where you installed it. To exit the setup, press the back button.
How to add apps on a VIA or VIA+ TV
VIA and VIA+ platforms offer you a great range of core apps, such as Netflix, Hulu, which are available on many devices, Vudu, YouTube, Pandora, and iHeart Radio, however, it’s also possible to add more apps from the Vizio app store. Some models also allow you to add the Google Play: Movies and TV app.
If you want to add more apps on smart TVs with Via and VIA+, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should tap on the V button on your Vizio TV remote to head to the home screen.
- After that, using VIA, you should click on Connected TV Store and then tap on All Apps. With VIA +, you should select an app category (Featured, Latest, All Apps, or Categories).
- Then, you should tap on the app you want to add.
- For VIA, you should click on OK and then tap on Install App. For VIA+, you should click and hold OK until the app would be added to the My Apps list. Installed apps would be displayed with a colored star in the top-right hand corner of the app icon.
- If you want to stream content from an installed app, you should tap on its icon via the remote. If you need to delete an app on a Vizio TV with the VIA or VIA+ platform, you should highlight the app and click on Delete, then tap on OK. The app can be reinstalled whenever you want via the app store.
It’s important to know that Netflix is no longer available on some Vizio 2012-2014 models. If you need some more details for your model, you should contact the support.
What are different Vizio systems
Adding and operating apps on Vizio TVs and Home Theater Displays alters depending on your system: SmartCast, VIA, or VIA+.
Below you can take a look at Vizio systems by model year:
- 2018 and later: All Vizio smart TVs feature SmartCast.
- 2016 and 2017: Tunerless Home Theater Displays feature SmartCast.
- 2016 and 2017: Vizio smart TVs feature either SmartCast or VIA+.
- 2015 and older: Vizio smart TVs feature VIA or VIA+.
Check the user guide to identify your system. Your TV or home theatre display must be connected to your home network and the internet to use any of Vizio’s app platforms.