Vizio Smart TVs are a great choice for users who want to spend their time watching their favourite movies and shows. Moreover, they offer a broad selection of more than 100 preinstalled core apps which can be found on your SmartCast home screen. Unfortunately, they don’t give you an opportunity to download additional apps, however, at some period of time, new apps become available and are available instantly after an update.
If the app that you want to be used isn’t displayed on your screen, it’s still possible to access its content. To do that, you’ll need to install the app to your mobile device and use the TV’s built-in Chromecast or AirPlay technology.
How to install apps on Vizio Smart TV
The basis of SmartCast is the Google Chromecast platform. It gives app content to be presented on a TV by casting from a compatible mobile device. There’s no need to put in a Chromecast dongle, as SmartCast technology initially comes with Chromecast. When you start a cast, the TV will be automatically transferred from the present source input (such as a TV channel or HDMI input) to the casting source.
Compatible apps will imply that they’re SmartCast-compatible, you’ll be provided with recommendations based on the viewing history by SmartCast. SmartCast mobile app gives you an opportunity to control your Vizio TV’s functions (input selection, picture calibration, and sound settings).
So, if you want to cast an app to your Vizio TV, you should follow the prompts which would be mentioned in the section below:
Via Chromecast device
By the way, if you want to download a specific app, you may get interested in how to download Spectrum App on Vizio Smart TV.
Basically, casting to your Vizio TV works quite similar to casting via a Chromecast device.
- First of all, you should open the Google Play Store on your mobile device.
- After that, you should locate the Chromecast-enabled app you want to be cased to your Vizio TV and click on Install. After it’s been installed, the app would be available in your smartphone’s cast selection.
- Then, you should open the app, click on the Cast icon, and then, you should select your Vizio TV. In case there’s not one Vizio TV or Chromecast device in your place, you’ll also see them in the list.
- Since then, the content will be produced on your Vizio Smart TV. You can continue using your phone and also switch off the phone or leave your place with your device.
- When the show would be ended, the casted content would be stopped. The content could be also stopped in case you use your Vizio remote to execute another process on the TV.
It’s a great idea to cast AirPlay content from an iOS app to your Vizio TV, as it gives you the benefit of the TV’s built-in AirPlay capabilities. So, if you want to stream content via AirPly, you should follow the prompts which would be displayed in the section below:
- First of all, you should make sure that your Vizio TV and iOS device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- After that, you should install the app where the content you want to stream onto your iOS device can be found, and then open the content.
- To finish the process, you should click on the AirPlay icon and select your Vizio TV. Since then, the content would be transmitted to the big screen.
How to customize SmartCast core apps
SmartCast-enabled Vizio TVs offer more than 100 preinstalled apps. They can be used without casting, you’ll only need to find them on the screen. There’s nothing difficult in customizing your app selection. To do that, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should click on the Customize App Row icon on your remote control.
- After that, you should choose an app and drag it using the left and right arrow cursors.
- When it’s ok, you should tap on OK and then click on Done. In case your mind has changed, you should tap on Cancel.
How to add apps on a VIA or VIA+ TV
VIA and VIA+ platforms offer you a great range of core apps, such as Netflix, Hulu, which are available on many devices, Vudu, YouTube, Pandora, and iHeart Radio, however, it’s also possible to add more apps from the Vizio app store. Some models also allow you to add the Google Play: Movies and TV app.
If you want to add more apps on smart TVs with Via and VIA+, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should tap on the V button on your Vizio TV remote to head to the home screen.
- After that, using VIA, you should click on Connected TV Store and then tap on All Apps. With VIA +, you should select an app category (Featured, Latest, All Apps, or Categories).
- Then, you should tap on the app you want to add.
- For VIA, you should click on OK and then tap on Install App. For VIA+, you should click and hold OK until the app would be added to the My Apps list. Installed apps would be displayed with a colored star in the top-right hand corner of the app icon.
- If you want to stream content from an installed app, you should tap on its icon via the remote. If you need to delete an app on a Vizio TV with the VIA or VIA+ platform, you should highlight the app and click on Delete, then tap on OK. The app can be reinstalled whenever you want via the app store.
It’s important to know that Netflix is no longer available on some Vizio 2012-2014 models. If you need some more details for your model, you should contact the support.
What are different Vizio systems
Adding and operating apps on Vizio TVs and Home Theater Displays alters depending on your system: SmartCast, VIA, or VIA+.
Below you can take a look at Vizio systems by model year:
- 2018 and later: All Vizio smart TVs feature SmartCast.
- 2016 and 2017: Tunerless Home Theater Displays feature SmartCast.
- 2016 and 2017: Vizio smart TVs feature either SmartCast or VIA+.
- 2015 and older: Vizio smart TVs feature VIA or VIA+.
Check the user guide to identify your system. Your TV or home theatre display must be connected to your home network and the internet to use any of Vizio’s app platforms.