Playing video games on a PC using an Xbox controller is a popular choice for many gamers. However, when you’re done playing, it’s important to know how to turn off your controller to conserve battery life and avoid accidentally pressing buttons.
There are several methods to turn off an Xbox gamepad on a PC. All of them are simple and safe. You should only know that the methods are different for Bluetooth and wired controllers.
So let’s take a closer look at how you can do it.
How to turn off Bluetooth Xbox controller on a PC
If you use a controller with the Xbox, it will automatically turn off when you turn off the console. But when working on a PC, you do not always need the controller, and as long as the computer is on, your controller will be on; as long as the Bluetooth is active in the computer, your controller will work, gradually discharging. If you turn off your computer, your controller will automatically turn off after 15 minutes. But you can forcibly turn off your controller.
If you want to turn off the Xbox controller connected to your PC via Bluetooth, follow these steps:
- Take the controller and find the Xbox button at the top center.
- Then press and hold it down for 6 seconds.
- Afterward, your Xbox controller should turn off and disconnect from your PC.
Also, note the other functionality of this button. Short press while playing a game.
On a Windows device, this button opens the Xbox Game Panel when playing a game. Exception: When streaming a game through the Xbox Console Companion app for Windows, pressing this button returns you to the Xbox app home screen for Windows.
Disable the Bluetooth connection
Another option, in this case, is to disable Bluetooth on the computer. This will disconnect the Xbox controller from the computer and may automatically turn it off. This is only an option. Disconnecting the controller from the computer this way might take time and effort. Turning the controller off with a button is much easier.
Other ways to turn off the Xbox controller on a PC
Other obvious but not always safe methods exist for turning off the Xbox controller. Let’s take a look at them.
Disconnect the USB cable
If your Xbox controller is wired, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect the USB cable from the PC. In this case, the gamepad settings are not affected. In the future, you can reconnect the controller to your PC and enjoy video games.
Remove the batteries from the Xbox controller
Another obvious way is to remove the batteries from the Xbox controller. It’s easy to do, but it’s not always the best. The fact is that regularly removing the batteries from the compartment can damage the fitting of the cover.
How to update your Xbox controller via PC
Updating your Xbox controller via PC is a simple process that ensures your controller is always up-to-date with the latest features and improvements. So follow these instructions:
- Connect your Xbox Controller to your PC.
- Download the Xbox Accessories app. You can download it free from the Microsoft Store.
- Once the app is installed, open it.
- In the Xbox Accessories app, click on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner of the screen to open the menu.
- Select Devices & accessories from the menu.
- Then select your controller from the list of connected devices.
- Once your controller is connected to the Xbox Accessories app, click the three dots button next to the controller’s name and select Device info.
- This will take you to the controller’s information page, where you can check for updates. If an update is available, you’ll see a Firmware version section with an Update now button.
- After that, click on Update now to start the update process.
It may take several minutes to complete the update, depending on its size and your internet connection speed. During the update, do not disconnect your controller from your PC.
That’s it! Your Xbox controller is now updated and ready to use. You can enjoy the latest features and improvements on your Xbox console or PC.