If you use Gmail regularly and are going on vacation or just want to answer people at any point in time, it’s a good idea to set up an auto-reply.
The name of the auto-reply feature speaks for itself. When someone sends you an email, they get an automatic reply with any message of your choice. It’s most convenient to add something like: “I am temporarily out of the office, call me on my cell phone, or reach out to someone else”.
An auto-reply is sent to anyone who will receive emails from you while you’re away. In Gmail, you can set up a start and end date for your vacation, as well as attach the desired message.
So, here’s how to set auto-reply in Gmail in a few easy steps.
How to set auto-reply in Gmail on PC
The best way to set up Gmail is through the web version. The advantage is that automatic replies will be sent through the Gmail server, i.e. before the email arrives on your device, which means that the sender will get a reply faster.
Well, if you want to set auto-reply in Gmail on your PC, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the web browser on your PC and go to Gmail website.
- Then, click on the settings icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- In the drop-down menu, click on the “See all settings” button.
- After that, scroll down to the bottom of the page and find the “Vacation responder” section.
- Now, fill in the following settings:
- Select “Vacation responder on”.
- Choose the “First day” and the “Last day” (optional).
- Enter the “Subject”.
- Type in the “Message” that people have to see and customize it, if necessary.
- Finally, decide if you only want to send a response to people in your contact list.
- After you have finished these settings, click on the “Save Changes” button to confirm it.
Once you have completed these steps, you will set the auto-reply feature in your Gmail account.
You should also know that if the first day is today’s date, the answering machine will start immediately.
If the user sends you multiple emails, an automatic reply will not be sent more than once every four days. In other words, if someone sends you multiple emails, they won’t get an automatic reply every time, which is very convenient.
How to set auto-reply in Gmail on mobile app
If you want to set the auto-reply feature in the Gmail app on your mobile device, you have to follow these steps:
- At first, open the Gmail app on your mobile device and sign in to your Google account, if needed.
- After that, tap on the “three lines” icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select the “Settings” menu from the list of options.
- Then, choose your Gmail account.
- In the “Settings” menu, scroll down to the “General” section, find the “Vacation responder” option and tap on it.
- Now, switch the “Vacation responder” feature, choose the dates and enter “Subject” and “Message”. Decide if you only want to send a response to people in your contact list.
- Finally, just click “Done” at the top of the screen to save changes.
Once you have completed these steps, you will set the auto-reply feature in your Gmail account on the mobile app.
A vacation responder can be used not only for vacation but also for other purposes. For example, if you don’t check your email account often or if you want people to contact you at a different address.
Also keep in mind that if you set up the auto-reply through a mobile device, the settings will only be saved locally, and you will need a network connection to send the reply. If you use the web version of Gmail, replies can be sent whenever you want, regardless of the Internet connection.