Can’t remember your email password? It’s very easy to recover, read the instructions and choose the one that is right for you.
Why resetting Gmail password is important
Google recommends its users change their Gmail login password every few months, as there is might be a probability of hacking or security breach. This is very useful to secure your files and emails. However, it is difficult to remember the password with such frequent changes. This article will discover the step-by-step method of how to reset your Gmail password in an easy way.
How to reset your Gmail password
The most common scenario of trying to log in to your Gmail is when you forget your password. However that’s okay, the following guide will help you quickly and easily change your password:
- Go to the Gmail login page and enter your email address. Then, click Forgot Password
- Enter the last password that you remember then, click Next. Keep in mind, this doesn’t have to be your most recent password, any prior login credentials related to this account will let you move to the next step
- After that, check you backup email. You’re looking for an email with a 6-digit verification code. Note: A backup email, or recovery email, is one that you’ve added to your account
- Now, enter the 6-digit code into the required field on the Gmail website
- Once the code worked, you can now reset your password
How to reset your Gmail password via mobile device
If you have forgotten your Gmail password and want to reset it, it’s easy to do with Android or iOS. Since Gmail is an app from G Suite and synchronizes with your Google Account, you should go to the Settings of your device and find the tab Accounts or something similar (different smartphones may have different names for these tabs). In newer versions, find the Manage Google Account tab and then click on Security Checkup. Then use these instructions:
- Go to the Secutity Check-up (or Sign-in to Google) and click Password
- You’ll be promted to enter your password
- Click Forgot Password
- You’ll be asked to type into the last password that you remember then. You can skip this
- Click Try a different question
- Then click Send and you’ll receive a prompt on your mobile device
- Tap Yes
- Now it’s time to create a new password
If you use an iPhone then you need to go to recovery page and answer for couple of questions to reset your password.
How to reset your Gmail password using Account recovery
However, if you have forgotten your backup mail password, the following method may help.
When you have already tried all possible passwords and you can’t remember the password from your old email back-up, a method that allows you to use your phone to confirm your identity comes in handy. Otherwise, Google cannot send a confirmation code to reset it.
If you don’t have a backup email or phone number to enter into your account Google, difficulties may occur. The only exception is if Google detects that you have logged in on that device before, it displays the new password option automatically, whether you entered an actual password or not.
Here’s how you can reset your password:
- Navigate to “Google Account Recovery”
- Enter the email address that you’re trying to access and click Next
- In the prompt that appears, click on Try another way
- You should request a verification code to your linked mobile phone number or backup email. If you only have one of the two, it will automatically send the code to the registered option. Enter the code and click Next
- In the “Change Password” screen, create your new password, confirm it, then click on Save password
- After you saved your new password, the Security Checkup screen appears
- Click Continue
- You will now see your Google Account page, and you will see the new password is now active
How to change your existing Gmail password while being logged in
To change your password to maintain security, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Google account
- Click on Security in the left menu, scroll down to the “Signing in to Google” section
- Click Password, then enter your current password
- After that enter your new password and confirm it, then click on Change Password
How to avoid Gmail sign-in issues
If you don’t remember your backup email or your cell phone tethered to Google, things can get complicated, so try to stick to safety precautions:
- Always use two-factor authentication and update your phone to the relevant one for your Google account
- Second, invest in a good free or paid password manager that will keep your passwords secure and continuously accessible. That way, you won’t lose your password again and can easily find it using the application
- Try to set up the backup codes function and store them somewhere safe. Google allows users to have ten backup codes at one time. This step is helpful when you get locked out. If you lose the codes at any point, getting new ones will wipe out the old ones for added security
Now you know how you can reset your Gmail password and no longer get lost when you forget your password when logging in. Try to update your Google Account passwords more often, as already mentioned – this will protect your data and access to it. Also, choose long passwords, including symbols, numbers, etc. Do not choose your date of birth or any publicly available words or information about you.