Do you want to start playing Nintendo Switch like in the first days after purchase? Or do you have problems with your device? Reset to factory settings solves the problem of breakdowns, bugs and simply restarts the system from scratch.
Is there an option to factory reset Nintendo Switch Lite
The Nintendo Switch is the most popular mobile console for gamers. With it, you’ll be comfortable traveling and playing your favorite games on the road. However, time passes, and the technology is always either updated or simply loses its relevance, so if you suddenly want to buy a new Switch or just sell your old one, you need to perform a factory reset.
For what it’s in general? Factory reset is a measure that applies when the device has some technical problems or you need to sell it from scratch. That is, simply put, you simply remove all progress from the device, all system, and app updates. The settings and customization of the device are rolled back to the moment when you first unpacked it.
How to transfer game data to a new Switch
However, don’t forget that before you want to reset everything to the factory settings, you need to take care of your game saves, the progress you have accumulated during the use of the Switch, and all the other files that are stored on the device.
If, for example, you bought a new Switch model, you need to transfer all the data from the old model to the new one. This process may take some time, so be prepared to wait for a while. After that, the old model will not have the files that you transferred to the new model.
Also, remember to remove the memory card from the old model! It may also hold important files. You’ll be able to use it in the new Switch model.
Another important detail before doing a factory reset. If you play Animal Crossing: New Horizons, you’ll have to do a bit of work with resetting its files. The thing is that the game doesn’t upload saves to the cloud-like other games and so you need to use the Island Transfer Tool to save your progress on the old model and then transfer it to the new Swift model or just save it to another medium.
How to perform a full factory reset via Nintendo Switch Lite
You can now proceed to a full factory reset. It’s easy enough to do, just use this guide:
- From the Home menu, select System Settings
- On the left, scroll down to choose System
- From the System Menu select Formatting Options all the way at the bottom
- Now scroll to the bottom and select Initialize Console
- On the following screen, scroll down and click Next
- Your Switch will then connect to the internet to deregister your system as the active console for downloads for your Nintendo account. Select Next
- This is the point of no return. Select the red Initialize button and your system will be completely wiped of all data
Is it worth to reset the Nintendo Switch’s Cache
tYou can also just restart and erase the cache of the Nintendo Switch itself. This is done to delete this information so that no one else can check it or simply due to security concerns. This is how to do it:
- On the Nintendo Switch home screen, select Settings
- Scroll down and select System on the left menu
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen, and then select Formatting Options
- Select Reset Cache
- A warning that you can’t restore the data will pop up. Select Reset
And you’re done!
Is it possible to reset Nintendo Switch without losing your game saves
Yes, you can. This procedure is usually done if you have technical problems with the device. With this reset, you’ll not lose your progress in the games or your files. All you need to do is delete everything from the console except for game save data, screenshots, videos, and user information. And follow these instructions:
- Turn off the console. Hold down the power button until you see Power Options, then select Turn Off.
- Hold down the volume up and volume down buttons, then press the power button
- Continue holding the buttons until Maintenance Mode loads on the Nintendo Switch
- Choose Initialize Console Without Deleting Save Data, then select OK
- Wait for the console to finish resetting, restoring it to factory settings
Now you can sell, give as a gift, or just put away your old model Nintendo Switch and use the new one. Or you can just start your progress from scratch if your device starts to lag or has frequent errors. Such a reset will do the trick to get your console working like new again.