The Nintendo Switch is a special device among the available portable consoles. There are many exclusive games available on it that can only be played on Nintendo. Also, this device is really designed for comfortable gameplay, since you can play your favorite games anywhere and anytime. All you need is a full charge for your Nintendo Switch.
Buying physical copies of games is a great way to build a collection. Sometimes, you may not find small indie games in physical format. For these games, like any other, there’s Nintendo’s eShop on Switch, where you can download them in digital format. If you’ve never digitally downloaded a game before, don’t worry, because the process is very simple. You just need to have a good internet connection to access the store and ensure a smooth download. Getting games digitally is a convenient way to get new games or discover great indie games.
So, here is how to download and re-download games on Nintendo Switch.
How to download games on Nintendo Switch from the eShop
If you want to download games on Nintendo Switch from the eShop, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the eShop from the Nintendo Switch’s home menu.
- Then, sign in to your eShop account and choose the game you want to download.
- After that, select “Free Download” or “Proceed to Purchase”.
- You can purchase the game in one of four ways. Either with Nintendo Points, a credit/debit card, PayPal, or an eShop gift card. Choose which method you want to pay for the game, and follow the instructions to connect that method to your Nintendo account.
- Finally, confirm your purchase and the eShop starts downloading the game to your device.
Once you have completed these steps, the game will be downloaded on your Nintendo Switch. Now, you can start to play.
How to re-download a game on Nintendo Switch after archiving
Once you have archived the game, you can still see its icon on the home screen, but you will not be able to play it until you download it again. So, if you want to do it, you have to follow these steps:
- Search for the game’s icon you want to re-download on your Nintendo Switch and select it.
- Then, select the “Download” option and for the game to download again.
You have to be aware that if you don’t have enough space for this game, you’ll have to archive another game or download it to an SD card.
How to re-download a game on Nintendo Switch after deleting
If you want to re-download a game on your Nintendo Switch after deleting it, you have to follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Nintendo eShop and sign in to your account.
- Select your Nintendo Account icon in upper right corner of the screen and open the “Redownload” section to see a list of the games you have purchased on this account.
- After that, select the game you want to download again.
- Finally, choose the orange icon and the game will start downloading.
If you don’t see the game you want to re-download, you may have purchased it using a different Nintendo account. Sign in to any other Nintendo accounts that you have and follow the steps above to see if this is the case.
How to download games on Nintendo Switch using a code
If you purchased a digital game for Switch, not through eShop, you may have received a download code. So, if you want to download the game on your Nintendo Switch using a code, you have to follow these steps:
- Open the eShop on your Nintendo Switch and sign in to your account.
- Then, navigate to “Redeem Code” on the left sidebar.
- Finally, type in your 16-characters download code and select “Confirm”.
Once you have completed these steps, the game will start downloading on your Nintendo Switch.