Steam, the leading digital distribution platform for video games, has been a global hub for gamers. However, circumstances may arise when you decide it’s time to bid farewell to your Steam account. Whether you’re looking to move on to other platforms or take a break from gaming, it will be useful for you to understand how to delete your Steam account and the consequences. Let’s look at how to do it.
What to do to delete a Steam account
Before diving into the steps, it’s crucial to understand the consequences of deleting your Steam account. Once your account is deleted, you will permanently lose access to all your purchased games, in-game progress, achievements, and community features tied to your account. Additionally, you won’t be able to recover your account or any associated data after deletion. So, exercise caution and consider alternatives like temporarily deactivating your account or exploring other options before making a final decision.
To initiate the Steam account deletion process, you will need access to the email address associated with your Steam account. Ensure that you have this information handy before proceeding to the next steps.
- Log in to your Steam account in the Steam app on your computer.
- Once logged in, locate your profile icon in the top menu on the Steam app. Click on it to proceed.
- In the drop-down list until you find the option for “Account Details.” Click on it to access your account details.
- Scroll down the page until you find the “Delete my Steam account” link. This link initiates the process of permanently deleting your account. Click on it to continue.
- After clicking the deletion link, you will be redirected to a confirmation page. Read the information provided carefully and ensure that you understand the consequences of permanently deleting your account. If you want to delete your account, click the “Proceed to account deletion” button.
- Steam will prompt you to confirm your deletion request once again. This step acts as an extra precaution to prevent accidental deletions. Click on the confirmation button to proceed.
- Also, if your Steam account has a lot of games, in-game items, or has a large amount of balance, then Steam support may additionally contact you to confirm the intention to delete the account or to discuss the question of the return of funds from the balance. Keep a close eye on your email account.
After confirming your deletion request, a waiting period will begin. Refraining from logging into your Steam account for the next 30 days is crucial. Attempting to log in during this period could delay or cancel the deletion process. So, exercise patience and avoid accessing your account during this time.
Deleting your Steam account is a significant step, and you must be certain about your decision before proceeding. Remember, once the waiting period ends, your account will be permanently deleted, along with all associated data. However, if you change your mind during the waiting period, log in and cancel the deletion to retain your account.
Is it possible to reactivate your Steam account?
Yes, it is possible to reactivate a deactivated Steam account, but it’s important to act within a specific timeframe. When an account is deactivated, there is a window of opportunity for reactivation before it is permanently deleted. This timeframe is typically 30 days from the date of deactivation.
During these 30 days, you can contact Steam Support and initiate the reactivation process. It involves contacting Steam Support, providing necessary information, and verifying your account ownership. Steam Support will guide you through the required steps and may request additional documentation or proof to confirm your identity.
It’s important to note that if you do not reactivate your account within the designated 30-day period, it will be permanently deleted. Once an account is permanently deleted, it is impossible to recover any associated data or regain access to it.
Is it possible to get a refund when deleting your Steam account?
When deleting your Steam account, it’s important to note that the deletion process does not automatically entitle you to a refund for any games or purchases made on the account. Steam’s refund policy is separate from the account deletion process.
Steam’s refund policy allows users to request refunds for games or DLC (downloadable content) purchases under certain conditions. These conditions include:
- Time Limit: The refund request must be made within 14 days of purchase.
- Playtime Limit: The game must have lasted less than two hours.
- Ownership Limit: Refunds are generally not granted for games transferred to another account or received as a gift.
It’s important to note that refund eligibility may vary depending on regional laws and regulations. Additionally, certain purchases, such as in-game or non-game software, may have different refund policies.
Deleting your Steam account does not automatically trigger a refund for any purchases associated with that account. However, if you meet the criteria outlined in Steam’s refund policy, you can still request a refund for eligible purchases within the specified time and usage limits.
Can you use your username after deleting your Steam account to create a new one?
No, it is impossible to immediately reuse your username after deleting your Steam account to create a new one. When you delete your Steam account, the associated username becomes unavailable for immediate re-registration. This measure is in place to prevent confusion and potential impersonation and ensure all users’ fairness. Steam implements a cooldown period for previously used usernames, during which they are reserved and cannot be used by another user. The length of this cooldown period may vary, and Steam’s policies and systems determine it.
However, after deleting the previous one, you can freely use your email address when creating a new Steam account. Steam does not restrict using the same email address for multiple accounts. During registration, you can associate your existing email address with the new Steam account, enabling you to receive account-related notifications and communication from Steam conveniently.
Similarly, after deleting the previous one, there are no restrictions on using your credit card on a new Steam account. Steam accepts various payment methods, including credit cards, PayPal, and other regional payment options. You can freely provide your credit card details for purchases on your new account without complications. Steam ensures the security and privacy of your payment information by encrypting and protecting it.