Alexa is famous for its functionality and responsiveness, as well as how quickly it responds to voice commands. However, the thing is that it works exclusively from the Wi-Fi and if you have changed or upgraded your Wi-Fi at home, or if you started to use it in another house with another Wi-Fi, you should definitely connect the Alexa to the new Wi-Fi. Otherwise, it simply won’t work.
In general, Alexa devices work only from the network and therefore you must be connected to the Wi-Fi. The fact is that when you ask Alexa a question, she sends your query to the Amazon cloud, where the request is processed, and the information is sent back to Alexa, so she can pass it on to you. In this article, I will tell you how to connect Alexa to the new Wi-Fi network with or without the app.
How to connect Alexa to a new Wi-Fi network via the app
The easiest way to connect Alexa to a new network is to download and launch the Alexa app and select Devices. Then select Echo & Alexa and choose the Alexa device you want to connect to a new WiFi network. Finally, tap Change next to WiFi Network and enter the WiFi password for that network.
How to connect Alexa to a new Wi-Fi network without the app
If you can’t do it through the app, try connecting Alexa to the new network through the main website alexa.amazon.com. Then go to Settings, then select Set up a new device, and choose your device. After you have done that, you should enable your device in pairing mode and connect to a proper WiFi network. In the end, select your new network and type into your password. Here’re more detailed steps:
- Launch a web browser and go to alexa.amazon.com. You can do this using Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or any other browser
- Then log in to your Amazon account. You will be asked to type into your Amazon username and password. If you don’t have an Amazon account, click the Create a New Amazon Account button at the bottom of the window
- Next, click Settings. You will see the tab in the left sidebar of the window. In case you can’t find this option, expand your browser window or zoom out on the page
- Then choose Set up a new device
- Next, select the kind of Alexa device you want to connect to a new Wi-Fi network. You’re able to see more options by scrolling down the menu
- Then click Continue and plug your Alexa device into a power source
- Then wait for the ring light to turn orange
- The next step is to connect to a network with the format Amazon-XXX. Without closing your browser, go to your computer or phone’s Wi-Fi networks. If you’re using a Windows 10 computer to set up Alexa, you can click the Wi-Fi icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen. If you’re using a Mac, you will find the Wi-Fi icon in the upper right corner of the screen. However, if you’re using a phone or a tablet, just go to Settings > WiFi. Once there you should see the list of all your available Wi-Fi networks
- Go back to your browser and click Continue. Once you have connected to your WiFi network, you will see a window that says, “Your computer is connected” to your Alexa device
- Then select the Wi-Fi network you want to connect Alexa to. If you choose a previously saved network, you can skip the next step
- Next, enter your Wi-Fi password and click Connect
- Finally, wait for your Alexa device to connect to the new WiFi network. Once you’re done, you can test the connection by asking Alexa a question. For example, you can say, “Alexa, what’s the weather like tomorrow?”
That’s all on how to connect Alexa to Wi-Fi without the app. So you don’t need to download an additional app or use your smartphone to connect Alexa to the network. This method allows you to carry out the procedure through the computer that almost everyone has at home. Definitely, this method takes a little longer, but nevertheless, it is very easy and doesn’t make you spend half a day solving the problem.