The Roku set-top box is a handy, modern media streaming device that allows you to search through a vast array of online video resources and stream the content you’re interested in into your TV screen
However, the device has many problems. One common problem is the lack of audio on the Roku. Sometimes you may find that the Roku has no sound when you watch a video or try to play an audio file.
How to fix the volume on the Roku remote control
There can be a variety of reasons, one common problem is that the volume button on the Roku remote isn’t working. If the volume button doesn’t work when your device is plugged in and the batteries are working properly, there’s a problem with the volume button but there are ways to fix it and we’ll talk about them below.
The easiest way to troubleshoot the remote control
The easiest way to fix the remote control is to check if the batteries are working. In order to check this, you need to buy new batteries or get working batteries from another device and put the remote control into you and in order to do this you need to:
- Locate and open the rectangular battery compartment cover on the back of the unit.
- Insert the batteries into the appropriate slots, making sure the positive (+) and negative (-) signs match the signs on your battery.
- Place the battery compartment cover back into the compartment and press gently until the latch clicks into place.
- If the LED on the front of the remote control is blinking, it means that it’s trying to pair with the Roku Streaming Stick. The remote is ready for use when the LED stops flashing and goes out
- Restart the Roku device (if it doesn’t have a physical button, unplug and reconnect its power supply).
- Hold down the pairing button while starting the device, or try pairing with the remote control on a different wireless network.
If your remote control becomes warm or hot to the touch after inserting the batteries, stop using it immediately. Don’t attempt to remove the batteries while the unit is hot.
You can also clean the remote control thoroughly when replacing the batteries and then put it back together again. There’s a possibility that the problem is caused by dust accumulated near the battery pack.
What to do if the remote control works but there is still no sound
Maybe the problem with the sound isn’t because of your remote control, but because of problems with the connection of your Roku TV to your device. If you realize that the problem isn’t with the remote control, you need to do the following:
- Make sure that the cable connections between your TV and your Roku are all the way in.
- Make sure that the sound on your TV is turned on and the sound isn’t muted.
- Make sure the input on your TV matches the HDMI output used with the Roku.
- Try to get close to your Roku device.
- Make sure that your remote control is paired with the Roku device.
- If the status light on the front panel of your Roku device flashes once every time you press the remote control button, the problem isn’t with your remote control.
What to do if the methods above didn’t help
If the methods listed above haven’t helped you then don’t despair, there are a couple more tips that may help you.
How to reload Roku TV
Perhaps not the easiest way to fix Roku audio problems is to reboot your device or reset it to factory settings. This method will solve the software problems and make your device work as before. In order to reset your device you need to do the following:
- Turn off the Roku and unplug it from the power outlet.
- Turn the device on after 10 seconds.
- The device will reboot and most likely the error with your sound will disappear.
How to reset Roku TV
If you still have sound problems after rebooting the device, a factory reset will most likely help you. This should only be done as a last resort if nothing else works. In order to do this, you need to:
- Go to “Settings” on your Roku TV.
- Then go to “System”.
- Find “Advanced System Settings” and click on “Reset Settings”.
- Then enter your Roku PIN and wait for the device to reboot. Remember that this method will reset your device.
How to control Roku TV if the remote control doesn’t work
In case you couldn’t fix your remote, don’t despair, you can install the Roku mobile app. You can use your phone as a remote, and you can search for media, discover new channels and stream your own content.
All you need to do is install the Roku app for iOS or Android, connect your phone to the same wireless network as your Roku, then click on the “Remote” tab. Now you can use your phone instead of your remote control until you buy a new remote control or fix your current one.
If you can’t find an answer to your question, you can contact Roku support at
roku.com/support for more help.