Windows 11 desktop may be controlled remotely, so it won’t be necessary to walk into another room to use it, you will only need your phone or tablet. The main thing is that before you begin the process, you should enable Remote Desktop on your computer.
Remote Desktop is a built-in Windows feature. It was presented in Windows XP and is still an element of the latest Windows 11 operating system. Remote Desktop allows remote access or control over another system from anywhere, via the Windows Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). As a default setting, the Remote Desktop access is switched off on Windows 11.
How remote desktop works
The Remote Desktop feature in Windows 11 can be used to join and access your computer using a remote access device. When you have done that, you will be able to complete some tasks like checking downloads, app installations, or even copying files from your computer.
It would be better to use the Remote Desktop with your home network, as it’s secure and has the Network Level Authentication. It would be required to use your Windows user account password to ascertain yourself on the network to be able to have access to the remote computer.
How to switch on remote desktop on Windows 11 using Settings
Before you start the process of setting a remote connection, the remote desktop setting should be switched on. The most straightforward process to enable it will be displayed in the section below:
- First of all, you should open Settings. To do that, you should tap on the Start button, after that, you should find and click on the “Settings” icon. Or, it’s also possible to open the Settings app by holding Windows+I.
- After that, you should look for the “System” tab which is located on the left sidebar of the Settings page and then click on it. Then, look at the right panel and click on the “Remote Desktop” option.
- Then, you should switch on the Remote desktop feature. To do that, you should toggle on the button.
- After that, you will see a pop-up window. It will ask about the confirmation. You should tap on “Confirm“.
How to add users to Remote Desktop users group
By default, if you are a part of the Administrators group, you will be able to access the desktop. Your device can be accessed only by users of the Remote Desktop group, or the email ID with administrative privileges. If you want to allow access to a different user account, that account can be linked to the Remote Desktop group.
If you want to add a user to a remote desktop group, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should access the Remote Desktop settings page and there you should find and tap on the “Remote Desktop users” option.
- After that, you should look through the Remote Desktop Users dialog box to find and tap on the “Add” button.
- Then, you should type in the name of the user you want to allow access to. After that, you should tap on “Check names“.
- Next, the computer name and the user’s name would be verified. If not, you will see an error.
- Then, you should link the user to the Remote Desktop group. To do that, you should tap on “OK”.
- It’s also possible to link a user who uses a Microsoft account or sign-in email ID.To do that you should only fill in the email address.
- Sometimes, people don’t know the correct pronounce of the name of the user. If it’s like this, you should tap on “Advanced“.
- After that, you will see a new window, there you should tap on “Find now“. By doing this, you will see all the usernames which were kept on your computer would be listed.
- Then, you should choose the user in the “Search results:” box, and then you should tap on ‘OK’ in order to add it.
- Users that you have chosen would be listed in the Remote Desktop Users box.
- So, to finish the process, you should tap on “OK” and after that, the users would be added.
As you can see, the process is quite simple. A remote control desktop is a very convenient feature that can make your life easier, as you won’t need to make some specific efforts to control your device.