There are a large number of built-in programs in macOS. And some of them have much more to offer than meets the eye. From time to time, Mac users may find themselves needing to record a screen. For example, to create an educational video, share information, or record an important video call. The capabilities of macOS make it possible to do these tasks successfully. And you don’t even have to download a third-party app to do it.
If you have already started recording your Mac’s screen, you will have to stop recording sooner or later. If you are a beginner and have not yet fully understood the functions of Apple technology, you may not know how to stop screen recording on the Mac. So, here is how to stop screen recording on your Mac.
How to start screen recording on Mac
Before figuring out how to stop screen recording on the Mac, you need to know how to start screen recording. In macOS Mojave, a new toolbar has been added to create screenshots and screen recordings. With this simple utility, you can literally start a screen capture in no time.
So, if you want to start screen recording on your Mac, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, you have to open the toolbar by pressing “Command + Shift + 5”.
- Several icons will appear in front of you. The first three are for screenshots. You must be interested in the two options in the middle. These options are “Record Entire Screen” and “Record Selected Portion”.
- If you select “Record Entire Screen”, the camera icon appears. This is convenient if you are using multiple monitors. Just move the camera to the screen you want to record and press the button to start recording.
- If you selected “Record Selected Portion”, drag the corners of the visible box to adjust the size of the frame. You can also move the frame to another area of the screen.
- Now, click “Options”. It allows you to select various options for recording your Mac screen. This includes selecting the correct microphone, where to save the recording, and more.
- Finally, click on the “Record” button to start the recoding.
Once you have completed these steps, you will start the screen recording on your Mac.
How to stop screen recording on Mac
After you finish recording, you might be confused about how to stop it, because the screenshot utility window will not be visible in front of you. Instead, you should see a small “Stop” icon in the top right corner of the macOS menu bar. Just click on it to stop screen recording on your Mac.
You can also press “Command + Control + Esc” to stop recording. Furthermore, you can press “Command + Shift + 5”, and the screenshot panel appears again with the option to stop recording.
The recording will automatically be saved to the Desktop and you will see its preview in the lower right corner of the screen. If you click on this preview, you can view the entire recording and trim it if necessary.
How to use QuickTime Player to record macOS screen
To begin, you will need to launch the QuickTime Player. Use the Spotlight search or just find the program in the Finder. Next, follow the steps below to start recording your Mac screen:
- On the top menu bar, click “File” and select “New Screen Recording”.
- The Mac Screen Recorder dialog box opens. It doesn’t offer any special settings to the user, but by clicking on the small arrow next to the record button, you can enable microphone audio recording as well as the display of mouse clicks in the screen recording.
- Click the red round recording button. A prompt will appear prompting you to either just click it and record the entire screen, or use the mouse or trackpad to select the area of the screen you want to record.
- When finished recording, click the “Stop” button, which will be displayed in the process in the macOS notification bar.
Once you have completed these steps, your Mac screen will be recorded.