Modern Samsung TV is an actual smart device. They have a lot of functions and exciting features of Smart TVs. Including you can install a variety of third-party applications. For example, you can put your favorite streaming, the YouTube application, and more. But what to do if the application hangs or you catch a critical bug? Restart it.
At this point, many users wonder how they can restart an app. In fact, on Samsung TVs, this function is not obvious. In addition, even when you think you have restarted the application, it may not be. Let me explain how it works and what you need to do.
How to reboot apps on Samsung TV
If, when watching your Samsung TV, you find that you have different problems or bugs in a particular application, then the first thing that comes to your mind is to restart the application to “reset” it and get rid of unpleasant errors. As I mentioned before, however, it’s not exactly easy to do. The thing is, to restart the app on a Samsung TV, you need to restart your TV. However, this isn’t easy either.
Not all users know that when you press the shutdown button on your remote once, your TV doesn’t entirely shut down. It goes into something like sleep mode on your computer. The screen turns off, and all the apps “freeze” but stay on. This allows you to turn on the Samsung TV almost instantly. If you need to turn off Samsung TV completely and close all apps, you need what’s called Samsung TV Cold Booting. There are two methods how you can do this:
- The first thing you should try is to press and hold the shutdown button on your remote. You will need to hold the button for about 30 seconds or so. The Samsung TV should turn off and then turn back on. This will restart your TV.
- Another way is to unplug your Samsung TV. You need to unplug the Samsung TV and wait about 1-2 minutes. Then the TV will switch off, and all processes will be finished. Connect the power to your TV and turn it on.
Note that this will completely turn off your Samsung TV. That means all other apps will be closed in addition to the bug. So if you have unsaved progress in any app, save everything. It will also take a little longer to turn on the Samsung TV after you turn it on. In addition, every app you turn on will take longer to launch because it will be reloaded.
How to update Samsung TV software
If you cannot solve your problem by restarting your TV, the next step you should take is to update your TV’s firmware. The fact is that your Samsung Smart TV is essentially a tiny computer in your TV. So it is not free from various bugs and errors. Usually, if there are critical problems in the system, Samsung quickly releases hotfixes. To update the software, you need to:
- First, you need to press the Home button on your remote.
- Then in Smart Hub, find and select Settings (they are marked with an icon with a gear)
- In the list, scroll down and click on Support.
- Here you have to choose Software Update.
- When an update is found, you need to click on Update Now.
You will then have to wait a few minutes for the Update to download and install. During this process, the Samsung TV may restart several times. This will also help you to update your preinstalled apps. Apps you have installed from the store should update automatically when you connect to the network.
How to reinstall apps on Samsung TV
From time to time, users encounter two very unpleasant problems. One is that you may refuse to update the application, and the other is if you have a critical bug not because of the Smart TV software but because of a bug in the application’s temporary files. Both problems should be solved by reinstalling the application. To do this, you will need the following:
- Press the Home button on the remote control.
- Then go to Apps.
- Here you need to open the settings using the gear icon in the upper right corner.
- Find the app you want to remove from the list.
- From the drop-down menu, click on Delete.
- After that, you need to click on Home again.
- Select Apps.
- Hover your cursor over the search icon at the top.
- Enter the name of your app.
- Click the Install button.
Note that all application data on your Smart TV will be deleted in this case. So you will need to log into your account again and download various content you may have saved with your application.