When you often use YouTube, you’re unlikely to be able to shield yourself from unwanted content. Sooner or later you will have to deal with negative comments and other unwanted content. However, you should know that all of this negativity can be dealt with.
What do you need to report inappropriate content on YouTube
On today’s Internet, people can do whatever they want. In particular, people can say and do things that offend others or are simply considered unacceptable.
One of the biggest platforms where anyone can express an opinion and post their own videos is YouTube. However, there are different opinions. Some may be constructive, critical, or otherwise praiseworthy of the content creator. And there are opinions that are just impossible to read because of the sheer unwarranted negativity. Well, if you see such videos, playlists, or comments, you can safely report them.
You remain anonymous when you report a video to YouTube, and the post goes to a group of YouTube moderators for processing. If the report is approved, the person who posted the video will be notified that their content is under review. A YouTube account that repeatedly posts inappropriate videos may eventually be closed down and banned from the website.
Well, if you want to report inappropriate content on YouTube, here’s how you can do it.
What to do if you find inappropriate content on YouTube
It’s not surprising that you can often come across various inappropriate content on YouTube. It can be an offensive comment or a video that contains adult content but isn’t marked as 18+. There can be many reasons why you might find what you see inappropriate.
How to report a video on YouTube
The YouTube support team is working 24 hours a day, seven days a week to review various videos for which you can send a report. However, if the YouTube review team finds no violations in the video for which the report was filed, no repeated requests won’t lead to its removal. The video will remain on the site.
- First of all, open a web browser and go to the YouTube official website.
- After that, sign in to your YouTube account, if needed.
- Then, go to the video you want to complain about and play it.
- Under the playback of the video you want to report, click on the “Report” option in the bottom right corner under the video screen.
- You’ll see a dropdown menu where you will need to provide a reason why the video should be considered inappropriate content and file your report.
- Finally, once you have selected the reason, you have to click on the “Next” button at the lower right corner of the dropdown menu.
After you have completed these steps, you will be able to report a video on YouTube.
You can also provide any additional details and reasons why the video should be removed. That will make the review team’s job easier and speed up the review process.
How to report a playlist on YouTube
You can also report an entire playlist of videos at once. This will also be pretty easy to do. You can file a report on the content of the playlist, its title, or its description. And the tags that contain the playlist can also violate the rules of use.
To do this, you need to:
- First, open a web browser and go to the YouTube official website.
- After that, sign in to your YouTube account, if needed.
- Then, go to the playlist you want to report.
- If the playlist is already playing, just click on its name in the upper right corner and you’ll be able to go to its page.
- Next, under the playlist’s name, find the “More” button and click on it.
- Now, select the “Report playlist” option.
- In the end, click on the “Submit” button.
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to report a playlist on YouTube.
How to report a comment on YouTube
Also, a popular feature on YouTube is that you can leave comments under the video that will be visible to all other users. Of course, this is the reason why it often happens that users leave malicious links, various spam, or insults in the comments.
The “Report Spam or Abuse” link allows the community to report spam comments left on videos they download or view.
If multiple users flag a comment as spam, it will be hidden and appear under the “Flagged as Spam” link. If you click the “Show Link” button, you’ll see the comment again. To report such a comment you need to:
- Go to the comment you want to report.
- Then, hover over the comment you want to report and click on the “More” option (click on the “three dots” icon).
- Next, select the “Report” option.
- Finally, select the reason why you want to report this comment and click on the “Report” button.
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to report a comment under the YouTube video.
Be careful when using this feature. Because if you overuse it, your account may just get banned.
Also, the person who uploaded the video has the ability to moderate comments. You can delete them or remove the mark SPAM from the comment.
If your comment was marked as spam but you are sure you did not break anything and your comment complies with all the rules, then you should contact the author of the video and ask him to restore your comment.
How to send a report to the channel on YouTube
It’s also common that you’ll find a whole channel that posts illegal content, inappropriate background images, or inappropriate profile avatars using the reporting flow located at the bottom of every channel. In this case, you can also complain about such a channel. To do this is quite simple. You only need to:
- Sign in to your YouTube account.
- Go to the channel page you want to report.
- Click on the “About” tab.
- Then, click on the “Report” option.
- Select the reason that best suits your issue and add your comment.
In this way, you can send your report to any channel on YouTube.