Roku gives you access to thousands of streaming channels, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and a host of other services from any TV. And while your Roku player comes with a small remote control that should work automatically right out of the box, there are times when it’s not so easy. For example, if you need to replace your Roku remote, your Roku may not recognize the new remote when you take it out of the box. In order for the remote to be recognized it needs to be paired.
However, not all remotes need to be paired. Roku remotes come in two varieties: a simple remote that connects to the Roku using an infrared beam and doesn’t require pairing, and an enhanced remote that pairs with the Roku and uses radiofrequency waves to control the player.
Anyway, here is how to pair the Roku remote if it doesn’t pair automatically.
How to pair simple IR Roku remote
If you want to pair your simple infrared Roku remote, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, connect your Roku player to your TV and a power source.
- After that, put new batteries in the remote and push any button.
- If the pairing process doesn’t start automatically, you have to remove various obstructions. Your standard Roku IR remote will only work if it is pointed directly at the player. For proper synchronization, remove objects that could block the signal from the remote to the streaming device.
How to pair Roku enhanced remote
If you want to pair your Roku enhanced remote, you have to follow these steps:
- Turn on the TV and switch it to the HDMI input of the Roku. You can do this by pressing the “Input” or “Source” button on your TV or TV remote control.
- Remove the battery compartment and replace the batteries. If you don’t have replacement batteries, you can simply remove the batteries and put them back in.
- Place the remote control near the Roku. This will automatically pair the remote control with the Roku.
Once you have completed these steps, you have to wait for the pairing process to be completed. The message “Pairing remote…” appears on the TV screen. After a few moments, the remote control will be paired and you can start using it.
How to reset an enhanced Roku remote
If you want to reset your enhanced Roku remote, you have to follow these steps:
- At first, unplug the Roku player from the power outlet.
- Remove the batteries from the Roku remote control.
- After 5 seconds, reconnect the Roku player.
- As soon as the Roku logo appears on the screen, replace the batteries in the remote control.
- Then press and hold the pairing button in the battery compartment. Do this for about 5 seconds or until the pairing light on the remote starts flashing.
- Wait for Roku to complete the pairing process. This will take 30 seconds, sometimes less. You will see a message on the TV screen stating that the remote control has been successfully paired.
Once you have completed these steps, your Roku remote will be paired.