Sometimes you need to write something that could be a spoiler for other participants of the conversation or you want to write some obscene word and warn all users in advance that this information could be offensive to them or a spoiler. If this is the case, the Spoiler Tag feature in Discord can help.
What does it take to Spoiler Tag in Discord
Many people simply love to communicate by embedding in their correspondence various emojis, stickers, gifs, and more. It helps to decorate the conversation with friends and sometimes even cheer them up. Discord provides just such an opportunity. Because in addition to video and audio conferencing, you can simply communicate using chat.
If you’re new to Discord, you’re probably not yet familiar with many of the platform’s features. Discord allows you to create unique effects in chat. Special keyboard commands on a desktop or mobile device Discord app can change the way viewers and readers think about the content you publish. This gives users the ability to add all kinds of formatting to posts, including bold, italics, code formatting, as well as spoiler tags.
Spoiler tags are useful for alerting others that you are about to give information about something that someone is not prepared for. For example, it can be a spoiler for the ending of a movie, TV series, book, or video game. After adding this tag, the other user will only see a gray or black box over the content.
It can also be useful if you are expressing a critical opinion about something. Or you can use the spoiler tag as a joke. When you write a sentence that has no word that is hidden by a spoiler tag, it reads a certain way, and when you open the tag, it takes on a completely different appearance. It can be really fun.
If you decide to improve your post with a spoiler tag or you want to hide a certain part of it because of spoilers or jokes, it’s really easy to do. It will literally take a few seconds.
How to add a spoiler tag on the Discord desktop app
If you use discord on your PC, then adding a spoiler tag will be quite easy for you. There are several ways to add a spoiler tag to the Discord app on your desktop.
With marking your message
The first way is to mark your message as a spoiler. If you want to do so, you have to follow these steps:
- Enter your message to the Discord chat box.
- After that, highlight the message using your mouse or double-click on it.
- Select the eye icon in the small pop-up window.
- Make sure that two vertical bars appear in the text.
- Finally, press Enter on your desktop’s keyboard to send your message with a spoiler tag.
Once you send a message, all chat participants will be able to see it. But the spoiler tag will hide the text until your friends click on it to reveal the content.
With Markdown codes
The second way is the ability to add a spoiler tag using Markdown codes. If you want to make so, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, enter two vertical bars in the chat box before your message using Shift + Backslash key shortcut.
- Enter your message and close it using another two vertical bars.
- After that, press Enter on your keyboard to send your message with a spoiler tag.
These bars will provide a way to hide your message in the spoiler tag, requiring other users to click to reveal the information.
You have the option to also hide attachments as spoilers. If you upload an attachment, Discord gives you the opportunity to “Mark as Spoiler”. However, this only works in the desktop version of Discord.
How to add a spoiler tag on your mobile device
In addition, it is possible to use Discord on your mobile device running Android. This is quite handy It is also possible to use Discord on your mobile device running Android or iOS and iPadOS. This is quite handy for both audio and video calls to your friends or for playing your favorite online projects on your phones or tablets, such as Fortnite or COD Mobile.
Adding spoiler tag on Android device
If you want to add a spoiler tag to your message on the Discord Android app, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the Discord app on your mobile device and go to the chat where you want to add a spoiler.
- Tap on the chat box and type two vertical bars just like we did on a desktop.
- Enter the text you want to send as a spoiler and add another two vertical bars after your message.
- Finally, tap the send icon.
Adding spoiler tag on iOS pr iPadOs
It’s a little easier for Apple device users to add a spoiler tag to a message. If you want to add a spoiler tag on your iOS device, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the Discord app on your iOS device and go to the chat where you want to add a spoiler.
- Enter your message in the chat box and highlight it.
- After that, the pop-up menu appears.
- Tap “Mark as spoiler”.
- Finally, tap the send icon.
You can also add a spoiler tag in your message using two vertical bars just like we did on a desktop.
How to disable spoiler tags
Users and admins have the ability to manage spoilers (to a greater or lesser extent). Instead of going to the server you want to moderate, we’ll go to your user settings to access the spoiler tag menu. If you want to do so, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the Discord app and go to Settings.
- Select “Text & Images” category.
- Scroll down to manage the spoiler tag options.
- Choose one of three options: “On click”, “On servers I moderate” or “Always”.
Depending on your choice, you will be able to see posts without a spoiler tag always or only on servers where you are a moderator, so that you can immediately see violations of your rules.
As you can see spoiler tag management in the Discord app is pretty simple. In order to configure this function and send a message with a spoiler tag you only need to make a few clicks.