It used to be that only avid gamers and music lovers used sound speakers. Now a PC without sound is like a broken TV set with a picture but no sound. If you’re missing a sound icon in your system tray, that’s not a problem, it’s just not convenient. Well, if you don’t have sound, it’s a disaster. However, you can solve these problems yourself, and not ask for help from a repair shop.
What do you need to fix Windows 10 sound speaker icon missing from the taskbar
Windows is a pretty convenient and intuitive system. This is largely due to its interface and handy taskbar.
The taskbar is usually located at the bottom of the Windows screen. It displays the programs that are currently open, as well as direct access to the start menu and a few useful functions.
For example, time and date, access to the keyboard layout language, or quick access to hotspots.
Also on the right side of the taskbar, there’s an icon with a speaker. It’s responsible for the sound settings on your PC. Here you can adjust the overall volume of your system and the sound output devices.
Sometimes there’s a problem where this icon simply disappears from the taskbar. You can also use other tools from the Control Panel to change the sound. However, the taskbar is a much better tool for this purpose.
Well, here’s how to get the missing sound icon back on the taskbar.
How to fix the problem with the missing volume icon from the taskbar on Windows 10
There are three main ways to fix this problem. All of them are fairly simple and will take you a little time to perform. You can get the volume icon back using these tricks:
- Check to see if the volume icon is turned on
- Log out and log in to Windows 10
- Restart Explorer
Below you will find a more detailed description of each of these ways.
How to check if the volume icon is turned on
If you don’t have the volume icon on your taskbar then the first step to solving this problem may be turning it on in Windows.
If your volume control is missing, it may simply be disabled in Windows. If you have lost the volume control then you will just have to plug it back in. To do this:
- First of all, right-click on an empty space in the taskbar and select the “Taskbar settings” option.
- Then, scroll down and click on the “Turn system icons on or off” link.
- After that, the “Volume” option should be turned on.
- Now, go back to the “Taskbar settings” menu and click on the “Select which icons appear on the taskbar” link.
- The “Volume” option should be turned on too.
- Finally, check your taskbar and see if the icon appeared.
This method quite often works for problems with the volume icon on your Windows taskbar.
How to log out and log in to Windows 10
This problem can also be caused by a simple bug in the system. Usually, to fix such bugs, all you need to do is to re-log into your Windows system.
You can also reboot your device. This will shut down the operating system and close any programs that may have caused this bug.
How to restart Windows Explorer
If the methods above didn’t help with the problem, another working method might be to restart Windows Explorer. Users have reported success using this method to solve the problem of no volume icon in Windows 10. In some cases, Explorer may be the cause of the problem. To do this you need to:
- First, press the “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keys combination to open the Task Manager.
- Then, go to the “Details” tab.
- Here you need to find the file called “explorer.exe“
- After that, right-click on it and select the “End Task” option from the list.
- Next, press “Windows + R” and type in “Explorer”. Press Enter or press “OK” to continue.
- Explorer will restart and the volume icon should reappear in its place in the taskbar.
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to restart Windows Explorer on your PC.
What else you can do to get the missing sound icon back on the taskbar on Windows 10
If the above steps didn’t help, don’t despair. There are two more steps that sometimes help users. You can try them:
Update your drivers
It may be a hardware problem. This will be especially true if the icon doesn’t just disappear, but became gray. In any case, the problem may be related to an audio device. In this case, you need to update the driver of the audio device. After that, restart your PC and check if the problem has been fixed. To do this:
- Press the “Windows + X” keys combination and select the “Device Manager” option from the list.
- Once the Device Manager opens, click on the “Sound, video, and game controllers” row and right-click on the sound device you want to update.
- After that, select the “Update Driver” option from the list.
- Don’t forget to reboot your PC afterward.
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to update the driver of your sound device.
Resize the text
If nothing helped, there’s one last method to fix this problem. You can change the text size. This method allows you to change the display settings of your device and restore them again, because in some cases the lack of an icon may be caused by a display problem.
To do this:
- First of all, click on the Start button and go to the “Settings” menu.
- Then, open the “System” section and go to the “Display” settings.
- After that, change the text size to 125%.
- Then go back and resize the text size again to 100%.
- Close the window and the sound icon should be restored to the taskbar.
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to resize the text on your Windows 10 PC.
There are many different solutions for restoring the volume icon to the taskbar. By trying each of the methods described above, you should be able to quickly get the volume icon back and control the sound level of your device from your desktop taskbar.