High-definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a useful thing that comes with your PC, as it gives you an opportunity to hear audio. It can be used for different things, for example, HDMI can transfer uncompressed video data or compressed or uncompressed digital audio data from HDMI-obedient devices to a consistent system. For instance, you can connect a display controller can join a PC monitor, video projector, digital TV, etc. for better sound and video quality.
Unfortunately, sometimes, users face issues with the sound. It may happen due to many reasons. For example, HDMI not working or HDMI cable issue, the issue with PC or monitor, inconsistent or incorrect device driver, choice of the incorrect playback device, etc. Even though there are a lot of reasons why the HDMI produces no sound, there are still a lot of available solutions that exist. So let’s get down to the problem.
What are the reasons for HDMI Audio not working on Windows 10
The problem with HDMI audio not working can be not only on the PC but also on other devices, like TVs, laptops, etc. Fortunately, there are also solutions to fix HDMI no sound on the laptop.
As it was said before, there may be various reasons why the sound doesn’t work on PC, so below you may see what you should know before starting to read the article:
- The most common reason is that HDMI smart device is not showing up in Windows 10 playback devices.
- Find the right solution based on your cause.
- The same fix will not work, even though the problem is the same.
How to fix HDMI no sound on a PC
So, there are 5 solutions to this problem that would be displayed in the section below:
Check hardware devices
The first thing that you can try to solve the issue is to check hardware devices. You should make sure that everything is fine with the connected devices and that all of them work properly. So to do that, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should take a look at the speaker volume of the monitor whether it’s not muted or turned down.
- After that, you should ensure that the cable is in proper condition. Or you may also attempt to connect another cable to the HDMI port.
- Then, you may also attempt to connect the HDMI cable to other HDMI ports to inspect if the problem is caused by the HDMI port.
- Finally, you may also attempt to let your monitor join another computer to make sure it works in an appropriate way.
Make HDMI your default playback device
The reason for facing no sound from HDMI may be that you haven’t set HDMI as a default playback device. To do that, you should follow the steps which would e mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should hold Win + R keys to open the Run dialogue box.
- After that, you should fill in cpl and click on OK.
- Since then, you would be moved to a new window. There, you should choose a playback device and set it as a default. To do that, you should click on the Set Default
- To complete the process, you should tap on OK.
Pay attention, that if you can’t find an HDMI device here, then you should do a right-click in the blank area. After that, you should make sure Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices options are enabled. Also, if you find HDMI audio device is disabled, then right-click on it and select Enable.
Update the sound driver
One more reason that may cause HDMI sound not working, may be corrupted or outdated sound drivers. If you want to solve this issue and update sound drivers, you should follow the prompts which would be displayed in the section below:
- First of all, you should search and choose Device Manager from the search box on the taskbar.
- After that, you’ll be moved to the Device Manager window, you should develop one of the related categories and then you should do a right-click on it to choose Update Driver.
- It will help you locate and update drivers to fix the HDMI problem.
You can also update device drivers from the device manufacturer’s official site. By doing that, you have a chance to get accurate and trustworthy driver updates for a seamless user venture.
Moreover, except for updating device drivers manually, you can also attempt to use the finest driver updaters for moment and compelling effects. These influential tools help you locate and install all the most delinquent drivers available for your device without any big effort and save time.
Use Sound Troubleshooter
If you’ve tried all the methods above, then, you should try to use the Sound Troubleshooter option. It gives you an opportunity to troubleshoot and repair all sound-related problems on your PC. Sound troubleshooter experiments with your present sound hardware compatibility with the software element. Then it would let you correct any problems found. To use the Sound Troubleshooter, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should head to Start, after that, you should click on Settings.
- Then, you should take a look at the Settings window and tap on Update & Security.
- After that, on the next window, you should click on Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Next, you should tap on Run the troubleshooter option which can be found under Playing Audio.
- Let the process finish.
- How to control an external device connected via Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) with the remote control on Samsung Smart TV
- How to change to HDMI on Insignia TV without remote
Switch to ChromeOS
Windows is a very aged technology. Of course, Windows 10 is rather new, but it’s still just the latest version of an aged operating system, created for a pre-internet era.
When we have the Internet, fast connection speeds, free cloud storage, and endless web apps (like Gmail, Google Docs, Slack, Facebook, Dropbox and Spotify), the whole Windows way of doing things with locally installed programs and local file storage is completely obsolete.
Why may this problem be caused? When you’re regularly downloading unchecked third-party programs, you’re continuously making it easier to get viruses and other malware. (And Windows’ insecure permission system compounds this problem.)
In addition to this, the way Windows handles downloaded software and hardware has consistently been a concern. If your computer switches off suddenly, or a program installs, uninstalls or updates wrongly, ‘registry’ corruptions may get the opened door to your device. That’s the reason why Windows PCs slow down and become erratic over time.
One of the easiest ways to fix Windows issues is to ditch Windows altogether, and change to a quicker, more trustworthy, more confident, more manageable to use and more affordable operating system.
Google ChromeOS may be used as Windows, but rather than installing piles of programs to email, chat, browse the internet, write documents, do school assignments, make spreadsheets, and everything else that your computer is usually used for, you use web apps. There’s no need to install something additionally. It has many extensions, but it’s still possible to start it without them.
In this way, you won’t have virus and malware problems, and your computer won’t be slowed down after a period of time or become unstable.
Chromebook already has pre-installed Chrome OS but it also may have some problems with Bluetooth, for example, but the good news is that we know how to fix that.
To learn more about the benefits of ChromeOS, and to see comparison videos and demos, visit GoChromeOS.com.
Surely, it’s its own disadvantages, for example, the 403 error that can be easily fixed.