Microsoft recently released a new version of its operating system, Windows. Now the latest is Windows 11. If the technical characteristics of your computer allow you to update to version 11 of Windows, then you are lucky. Since not all users of the most popular operating system have been able to upgrade from version 10 to version 11.
Microsoft has positioned Windows 11 as a touchscreen-enabled system. However, sometimes its use can be inconvenient or even hindered. The touchscreen feature available on some Windows 11 PCs is certainly a great feature, but it’s also a great way to collect a lot of fingerprints on the screen.
In case you get tired of wiping the screen of your laptop to get rid of stains, you can turn off the touch screen function and touch it more, and use the keyboard and touchpad or mouse. So, here is how to disable touchscreen on Windows 11 laptops.
How to disable touchscreen on Windows 11 laptop using device manager
If you want to disable the touchscreen on your Windows 11 laptop using device manager, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, press “Win + X” to open the context menu.
- Select “Device Manager” there.
- Under “Human Interface Devices” expand the list and find the “HID-compliant touch screen” item there.
- Right-click on it and select “Disable device”.
- Finally, select “Yes” to confirm the change.
In this way, you can disable the touch screen and leave only the normal screen for displaying data. If you want to turn it on, repeat the same set of steps, but select “Enable device” at the penultimate item.
How to disable the touchscreen on Windows 11 laptop using the registry editor
If you want to disable the touchscreen on your Windows 11 laptop using registry editor, you have to follow these steps:
- At first, open the “Run” window by pressing “Win + R” on your laptop keyboard.
- Then, enter the “regedit” command in the text field and press “Enter”.
- When asked to allow changes, agree. This will not be an issue if you have account control turned off.
- In the search bar at the top of the editor window, type “ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWispTouch”. You can also navigate to the desired registry branch manually using the left panel.
- In the right pane, double-click the “TouchGate” option.
- Enter 0 (zero) instead of 1 in the “Value” field and click “OK”.
- Finally, reboot your laptop.
If you want to enable the touchscreen again, follow the above steps, but on the penultimate step, enter 1 instead of 0.
How to disable the touchpad in Windows 11 laptop
While the touchpad on a laptop can be useful and some users prefer it to a mouse, it can also get in the way because of its proximity to the keyboard. So if you’re tired of accidentally clicking on something or moving the cursor with your palm while typing in Windows 11, disabling the touchpad is a good idea. Moreover, the process is simple and painless.
So, if you want to disable the touchpad on your Windows 11 laptop, you can follow these steps:
- Open Settings in Windows 11.
- Click on the “Bluetooth & devices” tab in the left sidebar.
- Scroll down until you find the “Touchpad” section, and then click on it.
- You can see the main Touchpad switch at the top. Finally, click on it to disable.
Windows 11 touchpad will be disabled as soon as the switch is turned off.
Although the touchpad has come a long way over the years, some of us still find it annoying and prefer the classic mouse or the new touchscreen if your device has one.