iPad is provided with a feature called Split View which is switched on by default and many people do into this mode accidentally, especially using the Safari app. However, there are many benefits of the split-screen feature, but many users don’t like it and want to get rid of it. Below would be displayed the methods of how to disable the split screen on iPad in Safari, but you can check out our article if you want to know how to disable the split screen on iPad fully.
What is a split-screen feature on the iPad
There used to be two options to stop split screen on an iPad: disable split screen in iPad Settings, or simply close the split-screen on your iPad for the app or apps you’re currently using. However, it’s no longer available to switch off the split-screen on iPadOS 15 by turning it off together.
Safari for iPad gives its users a great opportunity to do two things at one time. The split feature makes it possible to visit and read two websites side-by-side in the Safari browser, which are visible when the iPad is oriented in horizontal landscape mode. However, although many users know how to switch on the split-screen feature, not everyone knows how to exit this mode, as they think it’s not as obvious as it may be.
As a consequence, many users get confused with this feature on their iPads. It’s important to understand that exiting the split-screen mode is as simple as enabling it.
How to disable the split-screen feature on iPad in Safari
Split View in Safari on the iPad was a new iPad multitasking feature for iOS 10 that continues in iPadOS 15. Split View gives you a chance to view and read two separate Safari web pages at once on your iPad, which can have many advantages.
When the split-screen mode is enabled, there would be two Safari tabs displayed next to each other. If you want to switch off the split-screen mode on your iPad in Safari, you should follow the prompts which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should open the URL address bar in Safari. To do that, you should pull the screen down so that the toolbar appears.
- After that, you should click on the tabs icon. There would be two rectangles displayed overlapping each other.
- Then, you’ll see the menu displayed. There, you should tap on “Combine all tabs”.
- When the steps above would be completed, the standard mode will open with a single Safari tab on the iPad screen.
You can also select the “Close all tabs” option if you no longer need the browser. This will also disable Safari Split View mode.
How to close a split Safari screen on an iPad by closing tabs
If you want to close the tabs that are open in Safari Split View, you can also exit and quit Safari Split View by particularly closing all the tabs which were opened in the Split View panel in Safari. So, if you want to close a split Safari screen on an iPad by closing tabs, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should head to Safari Split View on the iPad and click on the URL/address bar which can be found at the top of the screen to open the Safari navigation buttons and tab bar.
- After that, you should click on the small pale gray “X” button in Safari to close this Safari tab.
- In case there are multiple tabs open in split-screen Safari mode, you should do it once more and click on the other tiny light gray “X” buttons until all the tabs in the split bar you want to exit would be closed.
All in all, there’s nothing difficult and confusing in managing the split-screen mode on your iPad in Safari.