Since you are a Nintendo Switch user, you have probably heard about the inconvenience of the Joy-Cons’ shape, or have had some experience with these devices yourself. If you did not like the gameplay with these devices, in this article, you will learn how you can replace them with the Xbox controller. There is also a possibility to purchase a standalone Switch Pro controller, but you should be prepared to pay quite a bit of money for it. In case you are lucky enough to have an Xbox Xbox Watch, Xbox Series X, or Xbox Series S, you can connect your Xbox controller with the Nintendo Switch and play wirelessly.
But before you start changing devices, you should know that you are free to use the wired method, if that is more convenient for you. For example, if you often play at a table, you can use a console stand to connect the USB cable to the console.
Note that in order to connect to the Nintendo Switch wirelessly, you must have a special adapter (Mayflash Magic-NS Wireless Adapter ($20 at Amazon), otherwise you will have to look for other, more complicated methods.
How to wirelessly connect Xbox controller to Switch (tabletop mode)
To play at the table without getting tangled up in the wires, you can use this guide:
- Insert the USB-C cable that comes with the Magic-NS Adapter into the Nintendo Switch
- Insert the Magic-NS Wireless Adapter into the other end of the cable
- You will see there is a small black button on the side of the Magic-NS Adapter. To make it change modes you should hold it down for 3 to 5 seconds. A different colored LED indicates each mode. In case you own the new version of the Nintendo Switch with longer battery life, change modes until the purple LED lights up. If you’re using the original Nintendo Switch, you’ll need to use the red LED light instead of the purple one
- After you set the correct colored LED, quickly press and release the black button to make the LED flash faster
- With the LED flashing rapidly, pick your Xbox controller and press the Xbox home button to activate it
- For syncing the adapter and controller via Bluetooth press the small button on top of the controller. You will see how the Xbox home button will start flashing
- After that hold the Xbox controller near the Switch until the Xbox symbol stops flashing
- In case ‘Press L+R on the controller’ screen comes up on the Switch, press down the LB and RB buttons at the same time
- Now you’re all good to go. Enjoy wireless tabletop mode!
How to wirelessly connect Xbox controller to Switch (docked mode)
An alternative method, but without using a USB cable, can be learned by following these instructions:
- Firstly, you should to insert the Mayflash Magic-NS Adapter into one of the Nintendo Switch’s USB ports. Keep in mind that there’s only room for one Magic-NS Adapter, so you won’t be able to connect additional controllers with this method
- You will se tThere’s a small black button on the adapter that you should hold down for 3 to 5 seconds to change modes. If you’re using the newest version of the Nintendo Switch with longer battery life, then change modes until a purple LED lights up. But in case you’re using the original Nintendo Switch, you’ll need to use the red LED light instead of the purple one
- After that press and release the small black button to make the LED flash faster
- While the correct colored LED quickly flashing on the adapter, press the home button on the Xbox controller to wake the latter up
- After you have done that press the small button on top of the controller to the point the Xbox symbol starts flashing. This means the controller is syncing to the Switch via Bluetooth
- Then, place the controller near the Nintendo Switch until the Xbox symbol is no longer flashing
- In case ‘Press L+R on the controller’ screen comes up, press LB and RB at the same time
- Now you’re good to go. Enjoy wireless docked mode
As a result, having a controller from Xbox, you do not need to buy an additional special controller for Switch and enjoy the games without difficulty.