You can finally get rid of the standard TV remote and a controller will help you do it. Gamepad is a great alternative solution that will open up new possibilities for your TV.
Samsung TVs based on TIZEN operating platform can replace video game consoles like Xbox or PlayStation. Moreover, if you’ve got an old joystick lying around, you can connect it to your TV via USB and start playing.
Why do you need to connect a gamepad to a Samsung TV?
You can use the gamepad for easier text input or for surfing the Internet. The gamepad allows you to enjoy a comfortable game on the big screen. Samsung Smart TV has a wide variety of games that can attract you with their gameplay and graphics.
Also on Samsung TVs, there are some interesting gaming services for gaming, such as Play station now, Steam Link App, or download the game directly from Samsung Apps. However, the listed game services have their own list of gamepads that can be used for gaming.
For example, in order to use the Play Station Now service, you must have DualSense or Dualshock 4.
To use the Steam Link App you will need one of the following gamepads:
- The Steam Controller
- Xbox 360 Wireless/Wired
- Xbox One Wired
- Logitech F510 / F710
However, there are some limitations to using the gamepads on the Samsung Smart TV
- Vibration is not supported.
- A maximum of 2 gamepads can be connected at the same time.
- After the user connects a gamepad, interaction with the gamepad becomes available only after the user presses any button or moves any axis.
How to connect a usb gamepad to a Samsung Smart TV
You can connect the gamepad via Bluetooth or you can use a USB cable, these two methods are quite simple and don’t take much time. In order to connect the gamepad with a USB cable you need:
- On your TV, go to the “Source”
- Next, you need to find the “Connection Guide”
- Here you need to select “Accessories”
- In “Accessories” click on your USB gamepad.
- In the middle of the screen, you will see “Plug the USB end of your USB Gamepad into one of your TV’s USB ports”
- Connect your gamepad to your TV using the USB cable
Now you can use your gamepad instead of your remote.
How to connect a gamepad via bluetooth to your Samsung Smart TV
It isn’t very convenient to use a gamepad via the USB cable and most people would probably prefer to connect it via Bluetooth. To connect your gamepad to the TV as quickly as possible you need to:
- First, put your controller into pairing mode (some controllers automatically enable pairing mode when they are turned on)
- Next, your steps will depend on the model of your Samsung Smart TV
Samsung Smart TVs from 2019 (Model R)
- First open “Settings” and go to “General”
- Now select “External Device Manager” and then “Input Device Manager”.
- Now you will be able to see a list of Bluetooth devices.
- Select your controller from the device list and now it should connect to the TV.
Samsung Smart TVs from 2016 (Model K)
- On the home screen of your TV, go to “Settings”.
- Select System, and then “Input Device Manager”.
- Next, select “Add Bluetooth Keyboard and Gamepad”.
- The TV will start searching for Bluetooth devices. Select your controller.
Now the controller is connected to your TV
Samsung Smart TVs from 2015 (Model J)
- Press the menu button on the remote control
- Find “System” and select “Device Manager”
- Now select “Bluetooth Gamepad Settings”
- Select your controller from the list and pair it
You can now use your Bluetooth controller with your Samsung Smart TV.