Smartphones make life much easier for many people. They can be useful for a very wide range of things. For example, many people use them for navigation to find their way to work or home.
Map apps can help with this. At the moment, the most popular navigation app in the world is Google Maps.
The fact is that the Google Maps platform already offers much more than just navigation. You can browse anywhere you need to go. You can see the evaluation of the place or the company. Read user reviews.
So Google will give you recommendations on the way. There are many additional features that you may encounter on your way to work or home. For example, you may encounter construction signs, crashed cars, speed cameras, and more. Google will warn you about all of these in advance.
One of the most useful features for drivers is real-time traffic monitoring. You can drive to your destination and see the traffic situation in real-time. It’s incredibly convenient and helps you get around difficult parts of the road.
How to set a home or work address in your Google Maps account
In order for Google to assess the difficulty of a route, you must first specify where you want to go. In order to use the traffic evaluation function, you will need to set your work or home address. Google Maps will then be able to compile a traffic report for you.
You can set your work or home address both on mobile devices, no matter if you have an Android or iOS device, and from a computer using the Web Browser.
In order to set a home address on your Android or iOS device you need:
- Launch the Google Maps app on your device.
- Then click the Saved button at the bottom of your Home screen.
- Select Labelled from the menu.
- Then tap Home or Work and enter an address.
Done, your work or home address is saved to your account. If you need to change it, you can do it using the same instructions.
You can also set your home or work address on your computer or using your browser. To do this, you need to:
- Open the browser on your computer and go to the Google Maps website.
- If you don’t have a Google Account, you need to sign in (Use Gmail for this).
- Click on the Menu button at the top left.
- From the menu, find Your Places.
- Then go to the Labelled tab and click on Home or Work. Enter the address of the place you want and click Save.
You’ve successfully marked your home or workplace in your Google Account. You will now be able to assess the traffic situation in real-time.
How to check traffic to work or home on Google Maps
After you’ve added a tagged spot you can view alternative ways to get there and estimate which will be faster, view real-time traffic or just estimate how long it will take you to get home. You can do this on your mobile device or computer
To view traffic on a mobile device you need:
- Launch the Google Maps app.
- Tap the Commute button at the bottom of the screen.
- From the menu, select Home or Work and tap Start.
You can now see information about your trip home or to work. You’ll see any delays on your way, traffic jams, or roadworks. You can also view alternative routes to your destination and an estimated time of arrival.
Also note that for some cities, the Commute button can be replaced by the Go button
To view traffic on your computer or in your browser you need:
- Open the Google Maps website and log in to your account.
- Tap Menu on the left side of the screen.
- You will see your saved addresses, and you must choose Home or Work. You can also enter the address manually in the search bar.
- Then you need to enter your starting location.
- Then click on the Menu icon and select “Traffic” from the list.
- Here you can see the traffic status at the moment. Roads will be colored in different colors depending on the complexity of the traffic:
- Green > No traffic
- Orange > Low traffic
- Red > Moderate traffic
- Dark Red > Heavy traffic
- To get up-to-date information in real-time, you will need to select the Live Traffic option.
In the browser version of the service, you will not find the Start button. Instead, you can only send route instructions to your phone and start your trip with it.
To do this, simply:
- Click on the “Send directions to your phone” option on the sidebar
- From the pop-up menu, select an option (email/text) to send the directions to your phone.
Once you receive the directions on your phone, you can turn on that route through the Google Maps mobile app and continue following it.