Back in the last century, users couldn’t imagine what it would be like to operate a TV without a remote control. Anyone born in the 1990s or earlier knows all about old TVs and their remotes. How else could it be, because TV in those days still held the position of the main entertainment within the walls of the house. If Generation Z had fallen in those days, they would have had to put up with a lot of inconveniences about the lack of many everyday things readily available to almost everyone today. Of course, first and foremost, it concerns watching various videos and content through the Internet and Smart TV.
It shows how advanced technology is today and how fast it evolves. The quality of features that take over the technology is also increasing. However, this, sometimes also increases the complexity of the operation. Where before the TV was a lot of buttons to control if the remote control is missing, now you’re unlikely to find anything or have to look through the Internet. This is why it is so important to know what to do when you don’t have a remote control.
How to change input on Samsung TV if you lost your remote
Operating a TV without remote control for normal tasks like changing channels or adjusting the sound can already be tedious. It’s much harder to make adjustments when you don’t have one. Whether you have a remote or not, you may need to change the source on your smart TV. It doesn’t matter why, you might start a favorite rock show, or you might need to connect some device to play your own videos.
Either way, you need to know exactly how to change the source on your Samsung Smart TV, because waiting to replace the remote may just not be the time. In such cases, you may get lucky, and your TV will have buttons on the back, or not, and then you’ll have to look for workarounds. Regardless of how lucky you’re or whether you chose your TV with the expectation of such a case, details on how to change the source without a remote are provided below.
- How to use Samsung MultiView with your phone or tablet
- How to fix screen mirroring not working on Samsung Smart TV
- How to get Samsung TV out of Demo Mode, Retail Mode, or Store Mode explained
How to change input in your Samsung TV with a stick on it
Today, HDMI has a wide range of functions. You use it to connect every possible device, from game consoles to storage media like external hard drives. It might seem like there’s no way to switch inputs on a Samsung TV without a remote control. However, not everything is as obvious as it seems at first glance. The fact is that every Samsung TV has a TV control button. This button is sometimes called the Control Stick, TV Controller, and Jog Controller.
As already mentioned above, the location of this button is a mystery. Finding it’s almost always a problem because its location depends on the model. When the TV is off and plugged in, you’ll see a tiny red light somewhere on the frame of the TV. That’s usually where you’ll find the button:
- Usually, the button you need is located in one of three locations on the Samsung TV. The first location is on the back of the TV, in the lower-left corner. You can use the middle button to display menu items on the screen, as you would with a remote control. Use the other controls to move around the menu options screen. Locate the change input option and change the input to HDMI.
- The button can also be located elsewhere, at the bottom of the screen. It’ll either look like the button above, or a single button with multiple commands. You can use it to go to the settings and select the input you want.
- The last option is the bottom of the TV, on the right side when you’re facing the TV, as usual. In this case, the stick works a little differently. The thing is that it consists of a single button, and you can use it to bring up the menu with a single press of the button and press it to move between menu items. To make a highlighted selection, you have to press the button for a long time. Use this button to switch to HDMI.
- How Samsung is making money with ads on its TVs
- Samsung TV AU8000 vs Samsung Q80A: Which one should you buy?
- How to fix can’t find Apple TV app on your Samsung TV
How to change input in your Samsung Smart TV with smartphone or tablet
Of course, you can also use your smartphone or tablet to set it up. It’s not very convenient to configure anything with a button, and there aren’t many things you can’t do with a smartphone. They have long been the most important tool in everyday life, so you probably have at least one.
Apps that replace the function of the remote control have long been nothing new. There are many apps in the App Store and Play Store that can turn your smartphone/tablet into a remote control for your Samsung TV.
That way, you can easily switch the input to HDMI. All you need to do is download the app in the store and connect your smartphone or tablet to the same network as your TV. However, since most of these apps are third party, changing the input can be different. Don’t worry, though, as it probably won’t be difficult to find the right setting.
If you use the methods listed above, you can easily reconfigure your Samsung Smart TV. Of course, neither option will replace the convenience of a real remote. So if you lose it, either find it as soon as possible or replace it with a new one. If everything above didn’t help you, consider contacting tech support.