You probably don’t want to be distracted from driving or constantly checking for the right route. Google Maps offers its users a great feature – voice assistant. However, is it possible to change the language?
Is it possible to change the Google Maps voice
Google Maps is now one of the most accurate navigation apps. It makes navigation much easier, especially when you’re driving. You don’t need to be constantly distracted from the road to see the route you need, because the voice assistant will warn you in advance about the necessary turn, departure, or dangerous situation.
Google developers are working hard to keep this app available in every corner of the world and in every language. However, if you suddenly hear that the voice assistant’s language is foreign to you, you can always change it to your native language.
Besides that, this option of changing settings in the app is available on every platform – Android or iOS. The only thing that is different is the method of changing the settings, which will be discussed in more detail in the article below.
Is there an option to change the Google Maps voice on iPhone
Unfortunately, for iPhone or iPad users, there is no such option as changing the language in the Google Maps app itself. However, there is an alternative. It is the settings of your smartphone. Yes, it is not very convenient – this option means a change of the language of your whole interface in your smartphone, ie all your shortcuts and settings, system alerts, etc. will be in the language you want to put for Google Maps. This also applies to the browser and other built-in apps of the iPhone or iPad.
Here is how to change the language settings in iOS:
- Launch the Settings app from the Home screen. Next, tap on the General tab
- Tap on the Language & Region tab within the “General” section
- Tap iPhone Language or iPad Language, depending on the device
- Select the language or the language and the dialect (e.g., Australian English) you want to use. To quickly locate the language of your interest, use the search bar at the top
- The device will prompt you whether you want to change the language. Tap “Change to…”
Is there an option to change the Google Maps voice on Android
On Android, it’s much easier – you just need to change the language of the Google Maps app itself. Here’s how to do it:
- Tap on the app icon to launch Google Maps on your tablet or phone
- Tap on your profile icon. It is located in the top-right section of the screen
- Next, find and tap on the “Settings” tab
- Once the “Settings” section opens, locate and tap on the “Navigation settings” tab
- In the Navigation Settings section, tap on the “Voice Selection” tab
- The currently selected voice of Google Maps is marked with a check mark
- You’ll see the list of all available languages and their regional variations
- Tap on the language you want
- Next, tap the “Back” button. This will take you back to the map
- Tap on the “Go” button in the lower-right section of the screen
- After that, enter your current position into the upper text box
- Enter the destination into the lower text box
- Tap the “Start” button. Google Maps will start navigating you towards the destination in the newly selected voice/language
In general, the app uses the language that is installed on your smartphone. If you change the language of your device or reinstall Google Maps, it will use the language you changed your system to.
Here’s how to reinstall the app if you can’t change the language in the app itself:
- Delete the Google Maps app from your tablet or phone. If you can’t delete it by tapping and holding the icon, you’ll have to uninstall it via the Google Play Store
- Next, launch the “Settings” app from the Home screen
- Scroll down and locate the “System” section. Tap on it
- Once the “System” section opens, tap on the “Language” or “Language & Input” tab, depending on the device
- Next, tap the “Language” tab
- You’ll see the list of all available languages. Select the one you want by tapping on it
- Exit Settings by tapping the “Home” button
- Launch the Play Store by tapping on its icon
- Browse for the Google Maps app
- Tap on “Install” or “Update” button
- Your newly installed Google Maps will take the language settings from the device’s settings.
As you can see, it’s easy enough to change the language of your voice assistant. Now you don’t need to be distracted to check if the navigator is showing you the right way. With a huge selection of languages and dialects, Google Maps deserves attention as a navigation app. What’s more, it’s already built into many smartphones and tablets by default. That’s why you don’t need to download it.