There are many reasons why you might want to block a website in Chrome. Sometimes, to achieve maximum productivity, you want to block distracting websites or sites with annoying notifications or websites with sensitive content, so you can focus on your work. Or you might want to protect a child from seeing unsuitable content. Fortunately, blocking websites is very simple in Google Chrome. The information below will help you to understand the process.
How to block a website on Chrome
When you access the web via Google Chrome, you might want to have control over your browsing habits. That’s where website blocking comes in handy.
Below are five ways to block websites on Chrome:
- Using Screen Time
- Installing an extension
- Enabling SafeSearch
- Blocking in Chrome Mobile
- Blacklisting in Chrome Enterprise
- Pro tip: How to block ads in Chrome with MacKeeper
How to ban a website on Chrome with Screen Time
The Screen Time settings of your Mac give you the ability to monitor and limit device usage. To restrict access to undesirable websites, you may change the settings.
Do the following steps to block websites using Screen Time:
- First, in the Apple menu, open System Preferences.
- Then, tap on Screen Time, and tap Continue.
- In the sidebar, choose Content & Privacy, and tap Turn On.
- In the Web Content section, choose Limit Adult Websites and click Customize.
- In the Restricted section, tap the plus icon to add a website address.
- Click OK and restart the browser.
How to block sites with a Chrome extension
Of course, many people use social media for entertainment. But when the goes down to your productivity, that becomes a problem. You can temporarily block them by installing an extension.
How to get a free website blocker for Chrome:
- In the Chrome Web Store, search for “site blocker”.
- Choose a free extension you like, and tap on Add to Chrome.
- Select the extension in the top right of your browser and then open its settings.
- Add undesirable websites to the blacklist and after that save the changes.
How to block adult websites with SafeSearch
If you want a child-friendly place, the Internet literally can’t give you a guarantee of this, but you can make it less dangerous by using the SafeSearch feature of Google Chrome, which helps to limit children’s exposure to sensitive content.
To turn on SafeSearch filters in Chrome, you should do the steps below:
- First, you should sign into your Google account.
- Then, go to google.com/preferences.
- Click the Enable SafeSearch box.
It is important to remember that even if SafeSearch helps to weed out adult content, it doesn’t mean that it restricts access to search engines and linked web pages.
How to block websites on Chrome mobile
The built-in iOS tools can help you improve your browsing experience even if you’re using Chrome on your iPhone or iPad.
To block specific URLs in Chrome mobile you should do the following steps:
- First, you should open Settings and choose Screen Time.
- In the Content & Privacy Restrictions section, you should click on Content Restrictions.
- After that, in the Web Content section, tap on Limit Adult Websites.
- Add the URL you want to block in the Add Website box.
- In the end, tap Done to save the settings.
Remember that adult content will be automatically blocked during the usage of Screen Time.
How to blacklist websites in Chrome Enterprise
If you want to manage Chrome Enterprise for an organization, you’ll have to follow a different process to block websites.
Follow the steps below in order to block a web page in Chrome Enterprise:
- First, open the Chrome .plist file.
- Then, you should add the URLs you want to block.
- After that, deploy the changes for all Chrome Enterprise users.
- Restart the browser to apply the policy
Pro tip: How to block ads in Chrome with MacKeeper
Sometimes, you want to block the annoying ads but not the websites. So rather than blocking entire websites, one by one, you can just block inappropriate ads instead. The quickest way to do that is to run a cleaning app like MacKeeper, which has a built-in ad blocker for Mac.
To block ads with MacKeeper, you should do the following:
- First, install MacKeeper.
- Then, tap StopAd and click Open.
- Click Install.
- In the browser tab that opens, select Add to Chrome.
- In the dialog box, tap on Add Extension.
Now, when you browse in Chrome, MacKeeper will keep all those annoying or unsuitable ads.