Google Docs is a quite good alternative to Microsoft Word. It’s free and there are so many useful features. Of course, each feature can’t be the same as Word. For example, adding columns can take some time.
How to add two columns of text
After the first release of Google Docs, the function of adding multiple columns wasn’t included. As there was a big demand for this option, developers have added it.
To add a second column you should do the following steps:
To add a second column to one page of your document:
- First, you should open Google Docs and click on Blank page.
- Tap on “Format” which is located on the top menu.
- From the dropdown list hover over Columns.
- Tap on the two-column image to apply it to your document.
If you want to apply the two-column format to a portion of the document, you should:
- First, open the document which has the text that you want to apply your formatting to.
- Then, you should highlight the part of the text which you want to be formatted.
- Click on “Format” in the top menu.
- Hover over columns in the dropdown list.
- Tap on the two-column image.
If you want to create a horizontal half-page document you should do the next steps:
- First, open your Google Doc or create a new one.
- Tap on “File” in the upper left corner of the top menu.
- Click on “Page Setup” from the dropdown list.
- Tap on “Landscape” from the popup window.
- Choose “OK”. Or, if you want to make several new horizontal-oriented docs, tap on “Set as default” to keep this setting. You can switch it off whenever you want.
- Then, click on “Format” in the top menu.
- Hover over columns from the dropdown list.
- Chose the two-column image.
How to remove two-column formatting
- First, Select the piece of the text where you want to remove two-column formatting.
- Click on the optin “Format”.
- After that, hover over columns.
- Choose the one-column format image.
How to create columns in Google Docs
You can create your custom setup by editing the formatting of the columns while using multiple columns in Google Docs. Here are a few simple points that you should remember:
- The left and right indent are represented by the blue down arrow on both ends of each columns. To adjust indentation, you should click and hold with your mouse.
- The first line indent is the blue line on the top of the left side blue arrow. It is very important if you use tabs for paragraphs. If you want to move it, you should tap and hold as you did for the down arrows. If you move the left indent, the first line indent will be moved as well. If you want to move it separately, you should click and hold on the first line.
- The margin is represenred by the gray portion on the ruler between columns. If you want to move it, you should hover over it with your mouse until the cursor transforms into the margin tool. The margin tool is like two vertical lines with arrows which point left and right. When the transformation of the cursor into the margin tool will be ready, you should tap and hold and then move it left or right.
With these simple tips, you can create columns in Google Docs quickly and easily.