Google Docs is a versatile word-processing tool accessed on various devices, including mobile phones. While the mobile version of Google Docs is somewhat streamlined compared to the desktop version, it still provides comprehensive features for editing and formatting documents. That means you can easily add columns using Google Docs on your smartphone.
Adding columns to a document can help to make it more visually appealing and easier to read. Whether you’re creating a newsletter, a report, or a resume, they can be a great way to organize your content and highlight important information.
So here’s how to add columns in Google Docs on your mobile device.
How to add columns in the Google Docs app
First, you need to create a table to add columns to your document in Google Docs. So here’s what you should do:
- Open Google Docs on your mobile device and create a new document or go to an existing one.
- After that, tap on the Pencil button to start editing your document.
- Then tap on the + icon at the top.
- Select Table.
- Now you can choose the number of columns and rows you want in your document.
- Finally, tap Insert Table.
Once you have completed these steps, you will see the table you created in your document.
You can fill it in right away. Moreover, you can even add a table inside an existing cell. To do this, place the cursor where you want to add the table and repeat the steps above.
If you want to add a couple of columns to your existing table, do the following:
- Open your document and go to the table.
- Select the column next to which you want to add another one. Tap on the top grey bar over the column.
- After that, tap one of the buttons to add columns, as shown in the screenshot. The column will be added to the right if the plus icon is on the right. The column will be added on the left if the plus icon is on the left.
In addition, there is also a button next to it that merges cells in the column. That means you can put a lot of text in it. Here’s what it looks like:
As you can see, there’s nothing complicated about adding columns in Google Docs mobile. It’s also easy to edit them.
How to edit columns in Google Docs mobile
First, you can change the fill color of the column in your table in Google Docs. Here’s how:
- Open the table and select the column you want to fill with another color.
- After that, tap on the Fill color icon at the bottom.
- Select the needed color.
- Also, you can adjust the text color there.
- To access more advanced table and text settings, tap on the icon of the underlined letter A.
- You can see everything you can add and all the parameters you can change: Text, Paragraph, and Table.
From this menu, you can also add both columns and rows.
How to delete columns in Google Docs mobile
If you want to delete a column using Google Docs mobile app, you can follow these instructions:
- Open the table and tap the gray bar next to the column you want to delete.
- Then select Delete Column.
With the convenience of a mobile device, you can now add and edit tables (columns and rows) to your Google Docs documents on the go without needing access to a computer. So hurry up and try this feature. And, of course, don’t forget to save your document after editing so you can open it later on your computer for a detailed review.