There are a large number of websites and programs that offer you to save your passwords on your PC. Popular web browsers, such as Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome, and messengers, such as Windows Live Messenger, are capable of storing user logins and passwords on your laptop. A common task faced by you is to retrieve passwords saved on your laptop in order to recover lost or forgotten access information. Depending on the application, operating system, and specific user privileges used, the task can be as simple as selecting some options in the operating system or it can be a matter of downloading special tools to decrypt the password hash file.
Saved passwords on your laptop allow you to have quick access to various services and applications that are installed on your PC. In this article, we are going to tell you how to find saved passwords on your laptop in different ways.
How to find saved passwords in Windows 10
The function that stores your login information on your Windows 10 computer is called Windows Credentials Manager. It keeps track of all your web passwords, as well as other Windows passwords, and allows you to access and use them when needed.
Normally, saved web passwords are taken from Internet Explorer and Edge. Passwords from Chrome, Firefox, and other web browsers are not displayed in the program. For these browsers, you can check the settings menu to find and access the option that shows your passwords.
If you want to find passwords on your laptop with OS Windows 10, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open “Control Panel” with help of the “Cortana” search bar;
- Then, select the “User Accounts” option;
- After that, click on the “Credential Manager”.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you’ll have the ability to choose either “Web Credentials” or “Windows Credentials”.
You can display passwords for web pages by clicking the down arrow icon next to the desired password. After that, just click the “Show” link. The system will ask you for your Windows account password to allow you to see the desired password. After that, the password should immediately appear on your screen.
How to delete saved passwords in Windows 10
As your laptop stores most of the passwords that you use on your laptop, it may even have passwords that you don’t actually use. If you want to delete saved passwords from your laptop, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open “Control Panel” with help of the “Cortana” search panel;
- Then, select the “User Accounts” option;
- After that, click on the “Credential Manager”;
- Select “Web Credentials”;
- Choose the desired password by clicking the down arrow icon and click “Remove”;
- You will be prompted to remove the password from your computer. Click “Yes”.
How to find stored WiFi passwords in Windows 10 using command prompt
Unfortunately, the Credentials Manager does not allow you to view saved WiFi passwords. However, there are two other ways to access Windows saved passwords for your wireless networks. These methods allow you to access passwords for all WiFi networks that you have ever connected to.
The first method you can use to find the password for the desired wireless network is by using the command prompt:
- First of all, search for “Command Prompt” using the “Cortana” search bar;
- Run it as administrator;
- After that, enter the following command “netsh wlan show profiles” at the command prompt window and press Enter. It will show the WiFi networks for which it has saved passwords;
- Then, enter “netsh wlan show profile name=*network name* key=clear”. This command will show you various data about the selected network. To see the password you want, find the “Security settings” section;
- Finally, look at “Key Content”. There will be your password.
How to find stored WiFi passwords in Windows 10 using third-party software
If you need to access your saved WiFi passwords too often, the command line method is not perfect for you because it requires you to enter a command every time you want to view a password. A better option would be to use a third-party application that allows you to easily and quickly reveal your saved Windows passwords.
One such application is WiFi Password Revealer. This is a free application that you can use on your Windows 10 laptop to view your WiFi passwords.
- First of all, download and install the app on your laptop;
- Once you’ve completed the installation, open the app and it will immediately scan and display all the WiFi passwords.
How to find saved passwords on your MacBook
If you want to find, change or delete your saved passwords on your MacBook, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open Safari;
- Select “Preferences” and click “Passwords”;
- Log in with Touch ID or enter the password for your user account. You can also authenticate your password with the Apple Watch if it has watchOS 6 or later;
- Select a website to see the desired password.