Probably you have often come across recommendations in various guides that you should update your browser to solve this or that problem. However, why is it so important and even sometimes necessary? The fact is that when you update your browser, you update all the processes and features you need for safe Internet surfing. Also, bugs are fixed and new features are added, all to give you the best conditions for using the browser.
This article will cover why it’s important to update your browser and how to do it.
Does a browser update help maintain and enhance security
When the browser is updated, it’s mainly to provide you with a safe environment. Since all browser use relies on you communicating with other networks and computers, you’re at great risk of catching a virus, spyware, or malware. Such things can then harm you and your information on your computer, so modern browsers are constantly updated to avoid this nuisance.
For example, Internet Explorer was no longer an optimal choice for security. In addition, the browser was simply not compatible with other, newer sites. However, if you’re already accustomed to your browser, there is no need to purchase or install a new one, just don’t forget to update your current one.
Does the functionality improve if you update the browser
When you work with an app, it’s usually updated automatically, but if not, it simply will not start. Or it will not work properly. The same applies to websites and browsers. Everything related to technology and programming is constantly updated and improved, so it’s important to understand that if you have not updated the browser, it simply can be incompatible with new sites or sites that have been updated. And the latter may look like before, but inside the code, something can change and your browser simply will not display the site as it was intended.
There are often even cases where a developer will make the page inaccessible to people using older browsers because they know it appears broken or poorly designed, dated versions. This helps improve the overall experience but can leave you stuck if your browser’s outdated.
Does the performance of websites depend on the browser version
As mentioned above, the code behind the sites is also being improved and updated, so if you’re having problems loading pages, it may not be a problem with your Internet at all. It may be an old version of the browser you’re using.
Anything related to slow loading pages, videos, pictures, frequent crashes, and frozen sites – everything can indicate that it’s time to update the browser.
The same is the case with streaming. If during streaming you have constant crashes and freezes, then first refresh your browser and check if there are any improvements.
How to update browser
If you have decided to update your browser, here’re a few guides to help you do it:
- Google Chrome
- Open the Google Chrome browser
- Click the Customize and control Google Chrome button (three dots) in the upper-right corner of the screen
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select Help, then select About Google Chrome
- In the next window, Chrome automatically checks for updates and displays the current version. If updates were installed, click the Relaunch button to restart the browser
- Mozilla Firefox
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser
- Click the Open menu button in the upper-right corner of the screen
- In the menu that appears, click the Help option at the bottom
- Select About Firefox
- In the window that appears, Firefox automatically checks for updates and displays the current version. If updates were installed, click the Restart to Update Firefox button.
- Microsoft Edge
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser
- Click the Settings and more icon in the upper-right corner of the browser window
- In the drop-down menu that appears, near the bottom, move the mouse cursor over Help and feedback, then select About Microsoft Edge from the side menu
- When the next window opens, Edge updates automatically if it isn’t at the most recent version
- If Edge was updated, click the Restart button to refresh the browser
- Open the Apple menu by clicking the Apple icon in the upper-left corner of the desktop
- Select App Store from the drop-down menu that appears
- In the window that appears, click the Updates selector button at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left
- Find Safari and click Update (or click Update all to update every app)
And that is why keeping your browser up-to-date is essential. Hopefully, these methods will help you to update your browser and make it work properly.