The Apple Watch is a great device which is quite popular nowadays. It is almost like your iPhone but much smaller. You can read messages on it, see who calls you, and even look for your activity. Like any other device, Apple Watch requires to be completely restored from time to time. If you want to pair your Apple Watch or you decided to buy a new one, you will need to unpair it from your current device. It is also required to back up its data, and switch off Activation Lock so that it can be set up again. So, if you want to do that, keep reading.
How to unpair an Apple Watch using the Watch app
If you want to unpair an Apple Watch with the Watch app, you should follow the steps which are mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- After that, you should select All Watches which you may find at the top of the My Watch screen.
- Then, you should click on the info button to the right of your current watch.
- Next, you should click on the “Unpair Apple Watch” option.
- After that, you should finish the process. To do that, you should tap on pressing Unpair (watch name).
- In case if your device has cellular service,you should press on Keep or Remove your plan.
- To finish the process, you should switch off the Activation Lock. To do that, you should fill in your Apple ID password and then you should click on Unpair.
After you have done the steps above, your device will begin the process of backing up your watch’s latest data to your iPhone. After the backing up will be finished, your device will be unpaired from your iPhone, all Bluetooth pairings will also be removed, your cards and wallets which were used on your Apple Watch would be also deleted. So, from here, your Apple Watch is restored to factory settings.
How to unpair an Apple Watch directly on the smartwatch
The method of unpairing your Apple Watch which is displayed above creats an automatic back up and syncing the latest data from your smartwatch before it will be returned to factory settings. This method is the most convenient one to save the newest data. The back uo will not be created and the Activation Lock will not be switched off automatically after you unpair your Apple Watch directly from the watch. It is also important to now that if you haven’t switched off the Activation Lock, the new user won’t be able to set up the device. If you need a current backup, make sure you unpair using the Watch app. So, to unpair your Apple Watch directly from the watch, you should follow the steps which are displayed in the section below:
- First of all, you should open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
- After that, you should click on the General setting.
- Then, you should click on Reset.
- Next, you should select Erase All Content and Settings.
- After that, you should fill in your passcode (if enabled).
- Then, you should click on Erase All (or, if you have a cellular plan and wish to keep it, Erase All & Keep Plan).
- Next, after the process of restoring your Apple Watch has been finished, you should go to iCloud.com from your computer’s web browser in order to switch off the Activation Lock.
- After that, you should sign in with your Apple ID and password.
- Then, you should tap on Settings.
- There, you should find My Devices and in the list you should choose your Apple Watch.
- Next, you should tap on the X which is located next to your Apple Watch in order to remove it.
- To finish the process, you should tap on Remove.
So, all in all, the process of unpairing your Apple Watch doesn’t require any complicated efforts. To my mind, it is better to use the first method as all your data will be kept and in case if you want to move it to another device, you will not spent so much time. Basically, as it was mentioned above, Apple Watch is an excellent choice for people who like to be always in touch.