Every time you take a screenshot on your iPhone, it makes a shutter sound. The same thing happens every time you click a photo in the camera. Sometimes such noises are annoying, especially if you need to take a photo or a screenshot without letting others know.
Luckily, the iPhone is a device where you can customize almost anything, including muting the camera. Here are a few quick ways to mute the camera and screenshot on your iPhone.
How to turn off clicking sound while taking photo with silent switch on iPhone
You probably guessed the first way if you already have experience using your iPhone. With the silent switch on iPhone, you can turn off not only the sound during the process of taking photos but the sound on the phone in general. This is done as follows.
- First, find the mute switch on the left side of the device. In most cases, it’s right above the volume buttons.
- As soon as you need to take a picture, or a silent screenshot, flip the switch to the orange position.
By using the switch, you’ll activate silent on your iPhone. This way, it won’t make the camera shutter sound.
The disadvantage of this method is that apart from the camera sound, the various notifications will also be disabled, which could be a problem if you forget to turn off the silent mode after you have finished taking pictures.
To turn it off, just toggle the switch back to its original state and check for sound, for example by taking a few pictures.
How to turn off clicking sound while taking photo manually on iPhone
If you don’t like the idea of the silent switch, or if the button doesn’t work for some reason, you can manually mute the phone to achieve that result.
To do this perform the following steps:
- On the screen of your iPhone, swipe down from the top right edge of the screen. This will open the Control Center. If you have an older iPhone with Touch ID, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- In the control center, you’ll see the volume control. Swipe down on the volume control to mute the multimedia sounds.
- After you adjust the volume, open the Camera and click photos or take screenshots – there will be no sound.
You can do the following while in the Camera app.
How to take photos silently in Live Photos mode on iPhone
You can also use the Live Photos feature on your iPhone to take photos without sound.
The Live Photos feature of the iPhone is that it allows you to take three-second moving pictures instead of still pictures.
Interestingly, the iPhone doesn’t make any sound when you click photos in live mode, as shown below:
- First, open the camera on your iPhone. Make sure you’re in photo mode.
- Next, click on the Live Photos icon, which looks like a circle with a slash. It’s located in the top right corner.
- Once you click, the slash will disappear, and you’ll see “LIVE”.
If you have done everything correctly, you can now take as many pictures as you want. The camera won’t make any sound.
How to take photos silently while filming a video on iPhone
An interesting way to take a photo without sound on the iPhone is to take one while recording video.
The thing is that photos taken during video recording don’t make any shutter sound. Apparently, this is done to ensure that nothing unnecessary gets on the audio track of the video you’re shooting. To take a photo in this way, perform the following steps:
- Open the camera on your iPhone. You can do this either with the camera icon on the home screen or from the lock screen by swiping from right to left.
- When you open the camera, go to video mode and press the red button in the middle to start recording.
- After you’ll activate the recording, you’ll see the white shutter button in the bottom right corner.
- Press the white button to click silent photos on your iPhone.
Note that the resolution of photos taken while recording video won’t be the same as regular photos. It’ll depend on the resolution of the video.