Smart thermostats make your home more comfortable and help you save on energy costs.
Such devices record the values of the air in the room and, if necessary, sends data to the boiler or conditioner to increase or decrease the temperature.
The Nest thermostat is pretty easy to use, but it’s not so obvious how to turn off the thermostat when you don’t need the heating or air conditioning on.
If you’re away from home for a long period of time, such as during vacations, you can set the Nest thermostat to “Off” mode. In this article, we will tell you how to do it.
How to turn off Nest thermostat from the Nest app
If you want to turn off your Nest thermostat from the Nest app, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the app on your mobile device;
- Select your Nest Thermostat on the main screen;
- Then, tap “Heat” or “Cool” (depending on the weather in your region at the time) in the bottom-left corner;
- In the pop-up menu, select “Off” and this will turn off the Nest Thermostat until you turn it on manually again.
How to turn off Nest thermostat using the Nest screen panel
If you want to turn off the Nest thermostat using the Nest screen panel, you have to follow these steps:
- Tap on the Nest Thermostat to open the main menu;
- Use the scroll wheel to go to “Thermostat” and select it;
- Use the scroll wheel to select “Off” and press the device. Your thermostat will now be turned off.
How to change Nest safety temperatures
Also, don’t forget that even if the thermostat is off, it will control the safety temperature. That means, that if the temperature reaches a certain level – the thermostat will react (the default temperature is 40 degrees Fahrenheit/4 degrees Celsius) and will begin heating pipes to prevent them from freezing.
That’s a good feature, especially if you’re leaving home for a long period of time. And you can adjust safety temperature, here’s how:
- Go to the Nest app.
- From the main screen, select your Nest thermostat.
- Tap on the Gear icon on the top-right.
- Tap on Equipment from the list.
- Scroll down and go to Safety Temperatures menu.
- Adjust temperatures for heating and air conditioning.
However, keep in mind that you can go as high as 45 degrees Fahrenheit for heating, and as low as 95 degrees Fahrenheit for air conditioning.
Featured image credit: Google