With the development of technology in the manufacture of smartphones, they have become very smart devices indeed. Most people today have their whole lives connected in one way or another to their devices.
People use them to communicate with each other, make reminders of important meetings, connect to important conferences, search for news, and many people work only with their phones. Your smartphone then becomes very distracting, as it can receive so many notifications.
Notifications on phones are a very important element. With it, you will never forget an important event or be immediately aware of a work email that you have been waiting for. However, if you are an active user of your phone, it can be a big problem.
The fact is that you can get hundreds of different notifications every day if you’re an active user of your phone. These can be notifications about missed phone calls, mentions in social networks, or a lot of endless pings from various applications on your phone.
If you need to focus on something, there is a Do Not Disturb feature in iPhones especially for such cases.
How to enable or disable the Do not disturb feature on your iPhone
Apple has made a special mode for its devices that completely mutes the sound on your device. You will not receive any notifications at all and your calls will be muted.
If you turn on the screen of your phone, you can see all the notifications you have received in the meantime. But as long as the screen is off, you will be able to rest from intrusive messages.
There are two ways to turn the Do Not Disturb mode on or off. You can turn it on with one touch, for example, when you want to go to the cinema or set it to turn on automatically at a suitable time every day, which can be useful when you go to bed, for example.
To manually turn Do Not Disturb on or off, you need to :
- Open Control Center, to do this you need to:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen if you have iPhone 8 or lower, or SE.
- If you have an iPone X or later you need to slide your finger down from the top right corner of the screen.
- Now you just need to tap the Do Not Disturb icon. By default, it is marked with a crescent moon. The feature will be enabled at this point and all notifications will be muted.
- To set the function or change the mode Tap on the Do Not Disturb button and hold your finger on it for a few seconds.
- Then you can choose from Do Not Disturb, Sleep, Personal, Work and other modes.
- There will be three horizontal dots next to each mode, which will open additional options for activating and deactivating the mode: Enable it for one hour, Until tonight, or Until you leave your current location.
- To deactivate this mode, simply press the Do Not Disturb button again and the function is instantly deactivated.
That’s all it takes to manually turn this feature on or off with a couple of clicks. There are also many ways to set up exceptions if you want particularly important messages to come to you bypassing this mode. See below for a description of how to do this.
It is also possible to schedule this mode to come on or off automatically at bedtime or during a scheduled conference. To do this you need to:
- Go to Settings.
- Then select Do Not Disturb (or Focus on a newer version of the iOS and then Do Not Disturb).
- Then in the settings click on the field with time, here you can configure the schedule of your Do Not Disturb mode activation.
- In the From and To fields specify the time when you want the mode to turn on automatically.
- You can also specify the days when the mode will be on.
- Then just exit the settings to save your changes
How to customize the Do Not Disturb feature on your iPhone
Also on the iPhone, it is possible to set up the Do Not Disturb function in different ways. You can add contacts or apps from which you will still get notifications to bypass this option. And many other things.
In newer versions of iOS, the standard Do Not Disturb feature has been replaced by the Focus feature. It appeared in iOS 15 and offers different modifications for the standard Do Not Disturb. To customize it you need to:
- Go to Settings.
- Then select Focus.
- This will give you access to different modes of this feature, such as :
- Do Not Disturb
- And you can add and customize your own personal mode
- Each mode can be further customized to your needs. To do this you just need to click on the mode you want and you’ll get access to additional features.
- In the window that opens you can:
- Enable or disable the mode
- Add exceptions in view of contacts or applications from which you will still receive notifications
- Enable or disable Focus Status (this status will tell others who are trying to contact you that you have Do Not Disturb enabled)
- You can customize the appearance of your home screen or lock screen during this mode, and specify whether or not you want to hide the pop-up notifications in the Home Screen and Lock Screen sections
This way you can set up different silence modes for different situations. This is very convenient and will help you get the most out of your smartphone.