Captioning on TV is the text that appears at the bottom of the TV screen in the original language or in translation, and duplicates or supplements what is happening on the screen. The text is displayed on the screen at any time when you are watching a movie, show, etc. Of course, such a feature is very convenient, especially if the viewer has problems with hearing. But in some cases, it is necessary to disable captions. So, here is how to do this.
How to turn off closed captioning on LG TV
Numerous settings of modern televisions are not clear to everyone. And if there is a need to disable captioning on TV with Teletext to receive programs with closed captioning, it will not be possible to do it immediately. The process of turning off subtitles on different models of LG multifunction TV sets can be different. But regardless of the TV model, you can control subtitles, not only turn them on or off, with the remote control.
There are two ways to turn off closed captioning on LG TV. If you want to do this by finding the CC icon, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, turn on your LG TV and find the program you want to caption.
- Then, press “Enter”. You will see a banner with information about the show, and in the upper right corner you will see two icons. One of these icons is the closed captions icon (“CC”).
- Finally, select this icon to disable captions.
The TV will notify you if the closed captioning has been successfully deactivated by displaying a notification on the screen. The closed captioning should disappear immediately.
How to turn off closed captioning on LG TV using the accessibility settings
If you want to turn off closed captioning on your LG TV using the accessibility settings, you have to follow these steps:
- Press the “Home” button on remote control.
- Navigate to the LG TV settings menu.
- Select the “Accessibility” section in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- After that, go to the “Closed Captions” option.
- In the closed captioning settings, in addition to turning them off or on, you can select analog or digital mode, as well as change some digital mode settings.
The “Digital Mode Options” allows you to format your captions. Here you can change the font, text size, text color, etc.
What to do if closed captioning is turned off, but subtitles remain on
This is a common complaint among LG TV owners. You have turned the subtitles off, as we said before, but the subtitles remain. More often than not, this happens when the subtitles are turned on somewhere other than the TV.
Closed captioning is available on various devices you use with your LG TV. From your cable TV to your Roku or Firestick device, closed captioning may appear because it is set up on another device. Once you’ve made sure subtitles are disabled on your LG TV using the methods described above, check connected devices to make sure subtitles are disabled on them as well.