GTA is considered one of the most popular video games in the world. It fascinates with its plot, the behavior of some characters and other interesting things. In GTA 5 you have an opportunity to play as 3 main characters at once.
What do you need to switch characters in GTA 5
For the first time in the GTA series, there’s more than one main character. In the fifth part, the player has to manage three protagonists at once, switching between them in missions or free mode. Below are detailed instructions on how to change the character in GTA 5 on PCs and consoles.
Because of the participation of 3 characters in the main plot, the developers had to implement the function of switching between characters. The option didn’t become a simple selection of items in the main menu but got interesting features and purpose.
Well, if you’ve just recently started playing the game and can’t figure out how to switch your character, here’s how you can do it.
What the character switching option is made for in Grand Theft Auto 5
The main task of switching characters is to diversify the gameplay and show the life of the characters from different sides. Since there are three protagonists, it’s not possible to tell about them within the general quests. Switching between characters has several tasks, regardless of platform (PC, Xbox, or PS):
- Switching the location. When switching to another character, the player will immediately find himself in his house or a place where the character usually spends time.
- Switching the type of gameplay. Each protagonist has a unique personal vehicle, active skill, passive skills, appearance, and so on.
- Access to unique missions. Switching between the main characters is necessary to progress through the story. Some missions are blocked until a certain character completes a series of actions.
- Performing certain actions in a task. When it comes to cooperative quests, solving tasks requires switching between characters. For example, Trevor controls the helicopter, Franklin shoots the sniper rifle, and Michael guards the transport. At certain points in the mission, you need to switch heroes.
- Control of minor characters. In rare quests, you can switch to other characters. For example, to Franklin’s dog.
The procedure of switching implemented by the developers from Rockstar Games is very simple, so the player doesn’t complicate the gameplay and doesn’t waste a lot of time.
How to switch characters in GTA 5 on PlayStation
If you want to switch characters in GTA 5 on your PlayStation, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, hold down the “Down” button on the D-Pad.
- Then, highlight the character you want to switch to using the right analog stick.
- Finally, release the “Down” button to switch characters.
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to switch characters in GTA 5 on your PlayStation.
How to switch characters in GTA 5 on Xbox
If you want to switch characters in GTA 5 on your Xbox, you have to follow these steps:
- Press and hold the “Down” button on the D-Pad of your Xbox controller.
- After that, choose the preferred character with the right analog stick.
- Next, release the “Down” button and choose the highlighted character.
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to switch characters in GTA 5 on your Xbox.
How to switch characters in GTA 5 on PC
If you want to switch characters in GTA 5 on your PC, you have to follow these steps:
- At first, press and hold the “Alt” key on your keyboard.
- Now, use the directional keys or the mouse to highlight the character you want to switch to.
- Finally, release the “Alt” key.
Once you have completed these steps, you will switch the character in GTA 5.
Is there a variety of scenes when the hero changes
The developers have prepared a unique set of scenes and activities in which you can catch the protagonist. Each character is engaged in personal activities while you’re not controlling him or her.
Franklin’s set of scenes:
- A phone conversation with Lamar Davies in elevated tones.
- A fight scene with a girl in the first house.
- A showdown with street thugs in Lamar’s company (several variations).
- Throwing out a coffee cup.
- Driving in traffic in downtown Los Santos.
- Walking out of a nightclub.
- Taking the trash out of the house.
- Lying on a bed in a room.
- Outside a personal vehicle by the garage.
- On the athletic field during exercise.
- Outdoors while paying compliments to girls passing by.
- Walking or playing with the dog.
- Various activities at the mansion (open after a successful robbery and a move to an upscale Los Santos neighborhood).
The appearance of certain scenes is affected by the time of day, and progress through the story. Inactive characters can replace the clothes chosen by the player.
Michael can be caught up in the following activities:
- Phone conversations in different places in the city.
- Showing up in the middle of a traffic jam downtown or outside the city.
- Actively arguing with random passersby.
- At home watching TV.
- Getting out of a cab.
- At a coffee shop at a table.
- Arguing with my wife at home, in the car, on the street.
- The morning after a drink.
- Outside Trevor’s house or inside Trevor’s trailer (opens by storyline).
- Resting with the kids at home.
- Playing tennis.
- Resting by the pool.
Switching scenes to Trevor Phillips:
- Chasing enemy gang members.
- Getting away from the police in a private car.
- Outside a nightclub at various times of the day.
- Intimidation of passersby.
- Being intoxicated on railroad tracks when a train is approaching.
- In a pen on a farm.
- Drunk on a wild beach.
- At home under various circumstances (smoking, sleeping, drinking, washing up).
- Disputes with random people.
Trevor has the most varied and crazy scenes since he is the only one with chases, drug and alcohol adventures, and shootings. More often than not, he wakes up hungover in unusual places: the cemetery, the balcony railing, the beach, and so on. Variable scenes open up as the game’s storyline progresses. The appearance of these or other variants is influenced by randomness.