Telling time accurately is one of the most basic parts of living in modern society that we often overlook until we accidentally read the time wrong and are too late or too early for an appointment.
Android, by default, shows the time in a 12-hour format. Although having the time split in two is commonplace in the U.S., it isn’t in other parts of the world. The information below will explain how to enable the 24-hour clock (or “military time”) on Android.
How to switch the Time Format
You should follow some steps below:
- First of all, scroll over to the Settings icon on your home page screen and click on it to open the settings page.
- Then, scroll down the list of options on this page until you get to the “System” section. Click on this section to bring up a list of options in which the phone’s general information will be displayed and which is used to interact with users, including changing the language, accessibility, and backup options.
- Then, you should find and click on the “Date & Time” section. A fresh list of options relating to how time is represented on your phone will be displayed after tapping on this section.
- Scroll down until you see the “Use 24-hour format” option. You should click on it to see the button turns blue.
- Your phone will now show the time in the 24-hour format instead of AM and PM. If you wish to change back to the original time format, simply toggle off the button next to “Use 24-hour format,” and the phone clock will automatically revert back to showing the time in AM and PM.
Keep in mind that in different devices, the Date & Option is kept in different places on the settings page. In case, if the option can’t be found in the place which is mentioned above, you may fill in the name of the option in the search bar that most modern android phones come equipped with to locate it.
What is the difference between the two formats
It is important, to know the difference between the two formats as it will help you to make a decision on which format you would like to set up. The basic differences are:
AM and PM: The day is split into two parts, morning and night. The time is measured using only the digits 1 to 12. Morning time is indicated by AM, while night time is indicated by PM.
24-hour: it is considered to be military time. The full day is set to a 24-hour cycle, and time is measured using digits 0 to 24. After 12:59 in the afternoon, the time is measured by adding 12:00 to every number on the clock. So 01:00 in the afternoon becomes 13:00, 02:00 becomes 14:00, 03:00 becomes 15:00, etc.
The reason why many people prefer the military time format is that it avoids confusion between AM and PM, so you don’t accidentally read the wrong time for an appointment.
Hope this article has provided you with some useful information about the time settings on your Anfroid device.