When someone comes to visit your house, in order to reduce the usage of their mobile data, they may ask you to share the WiFi password. If your guests are iPhone users, it’d be so easy to share the password, as Apple’s provided its users with an opportunity to share it with a Bluetooth connection.
It’s important to make sure that password sharing was done carefully and selectively. In some cases, you might not want to give out your password for security reasons. In others, it’s because the password is so elongated and twisted it’s a bother to connect.
If you have two iOS devices, one already joined the internet and one’s still not, it’s possible to share the Wi-Fi password without basically sharing it. It means that your iPhone can be used to let another device connect to the private wireless network without filling in the password manually.
How to share Wi-Fi on iPhones
If you’ve ever wondered whether it’s possible to share your Wi-Fi password from iPhone to iPhone, there’s some great news for you. Yes, it may be done. First, you should make sure you have an updated version of iOS running on both iPhones. Apple has provided the Wi-Fi password-sharing feature in iOS 11. It’s also required to switch on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for both devices.
Also, you’d be required to add your Apple ID and the connecting iPhone’s Apple ID. If they both use the same Apple ID, there won’t be any issues. However, if you need to share the password with a friend’s iPhone, you should add one another’s Apple ID to your contacts list.
So, if you want to share WiFi on iPhones, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
On the receiving device, you should:
- First of all, you should open the Settings app.
- After that, you should click on ‘Wi-Fi’.
- Then, you should tap on the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to.
On the host device to share access you should:
- First of all, there would be an alert asking if you want to Share Your Wi-Fi displayed.
- After that, you should tap on the Share Password button.
- When the process above has been completed, your phone will share access to the Wi-Fi network with the requesting phone.
- To finish the process, you should click on Done.
How to transfer the password from Mac to iPhone
It’s always easier to share your WiFi password from your Mac to your iPhone rather than filling it in every time. So, if you want to transfer the password from Mac to iPhone, you should follow the instructions which would be mentioned in the section below:
You should make sure that your Mac is already connected to the Wi-Fi network and that you have the other person’s Apple ID in your contacts list.
- First of all, you should keep the iPhone close to your Mac.
- After that, you should open Settings on your iPhone.
- Then, you should click on Wi-Fi.
- Next, you should click on the network you want to join.
- After that, you should tap on the Wi-Fi password dialogue that would be displayed on your Mac.
- Then, you should tap on Share.
- Since then, the password would be shared with your iPhone.
How to share WiFi from Mac to iPhone
If you have a USB cable, it’s also possible to share your Mac’s Wi-Fi connection with your iPhone via a physical method. It’s a great idea especially if you’re in a place with restricted Wi-Fi, for example, a hotel or previous methods hadn’t worked.
So, if you want to share WiFi from Mac to iPhone via a USB cable, you should follow the prompts which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should tap on the Apple icon on your Mac.
- After that, you should tap on System Preferences.
- Then, you should tap on Sharing.
- Next, you should tap on Internet Sharing.
- After that, you should select the iPhone USB port.
- To finish the process, you should plug your iPhone into the USB socket of your Mac to share the connection.
How to get WiFi from Mac to iPhone
There’s one more method that can be used to get WiFi from Mac to iPhone. It requires Bluetooth to connect your Mac’s WiFi to your phone. So, if you want to try this method, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
You should make sure both devices have Bluetooth switched on before starting the process.
- First of all, you should click on Personal Hotspot on your iPhone.
- After that, you should tap on the Apple icon on your Mac.
- Then, you should tap on System Preferences.
- Next, you should tap on Bluetooth.
- After that, you should tap on Connect next to your iPhone name.
- Then, you should check the numbers match and click on Pair on your iPhone.
- Since then, you would be connected.
As you can see, there is nothing difficult in sharing your WiFi password.