Sharing WiFi from an iPhone with another Apple device means that you will have an opportunity to give the WiFi without entering the password. Previously, you would have to download a third-party app to do this. However, after iOS 11, Apple has made it easy to share a WiFi password from an iPhone to another iPhone, an iPad, or any Mac computer running macOS Sierra or later. The information below will explain how to share your WiFi password on an iPhone.
Before you start, make sure your Apple ID is in the other person’s contact list. Then go to contacts, click Edit in the top right corner, and add your Apple ID under the contact name’s email address.
How to share WiFi from your iPhone
When someone comes to visit your house, in order to reduce the usage of their mobile data, they may ask you to share the WiFi password. If your guests are iPhone users, it’d be so easy to share the password, as Apple’s provided its users with an opportunity to share it with a Bluetooth connection.
- The first step you should do is go to Settings on your iPhone. This is the gear-shaped icon on your home screen.
- After that, you should click on Bluetooth and make sure it’s switched on. You will know Bluetooth is on if the slider at the top of your screen is green.
- Then go back to Settings and tap WiFi.
- After that, you should definitely know that WiFi is turned on, and sign in to a WiFi network. In order to sign in to a WiFi network, you should tap on its name from the list below and fill in your login information. If your iPhone automatically signs into your WiFi network, you can skip this step.
- Then, you should click on WiFi. In case you want to share a WiFi password with a Mac computer, you should click on the WiFi icon in the top-right corner of your screen and choose a WiFi network from the drop-down menu.
- After that, you should choose the same WiFi network the same network as on iPhone that will be sharing the password is already connected.
- Keep in mind, you shouldn’t type in the password when prompted.
- On the iPhone that’s already connected, tap on the WiFi.
- Then, select the Share Password option that will be displayed on the pop-up window. The two iPhones need to be within Bluetooth range.
- The other iPhone will then receive the password and be able to connect to the WiFi.
What to do if iPhone WiFi Sharing isn’t working
If you have faced the issue that you aren’t able to share the WiFi password between two devices, there are a few methods to make it work in a proper way:
- First of all, you should restart the iPhone and another device.
- Then, you should make sure that both of devices are up to date. To update your iPhone, you should go to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install. If you don’t see the option to download and update, it means that your iPhone has the latest version.
- After that, you should disconnect from the WiFi connection and then rejoin. To do this, you should go to Settings > WiFi and choose the network name. Tap the letter “i” icon and then tap “Forget this Network.” After you have done it, you can rejoin the network and fill in the password.
- Then, you should reset the network settings on your iPhone. To do this, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- Finally, try to reboot the router.
How to share Wi-Fi on iPhones
If you’ve ever wondered whether it’s possible to share your Wi-Fi password from iPhone to iPhone, there’s some great news for you. Yes, it may be done. First, you should make sure you have an updated version of iOS running on both iPhones. Apple has provided the Wi-Fi password-sharing feature in iOS 11. It’s also required to switch on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for both devices.
Also, you’d be required to add your Apple ID and the connecting iPhone’s Apple ID. If they both use the same Apple ID, there won’t be any issues. However, if you need to share the password with a friend’s iPhone, you should add one another’s Apple ID to your contacts list.
So, if you want to share WiFi on iPhones, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
On the receiving device, you should:
- First of all, you should open the Settings app.
- After that, you should click on ‘Wi-Fi’.
- Then, you should tap on the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to.
On the host device to share access you should:
- First of all, there would be an alert asking if you want to Share Your Wi-Fi displayed.
- After that, you should tap on the Share Password button.
- When the process above has been completed, your phone will share access to the Wi-Fi network with the requesting phone.
- To finish the process, you should click on Done.
How to share WiFi from Mac to iPhone
If you have a USB cable, it’s also possible to share your Mac’s Wi-Fi connection with your iPhone via a physical method. It’s a great idea especially if you’re in a place with restricted Wi-Fi, for example, a hotel or previous methods hadn’t worked.
So, if you want to share WiFi from Mac to iPhone via a USB cable, you should follow the prompts which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should tap on the Apple icon on your Mac.
- After that, you should tap on System Preferences.
- Then, you should tap on Sharing.
- Next, you should tap on Internet Sharing.
- After that, you should select the iPhone USB port.
- To finish the process, you should plug your iPhone into the USB socket of your Mac to share the connection.
All in all, the process isn’t as complicated as you may think.