There are some cases when you forget some specific information that gives you an opportunity to access your device. Many users get in huge trouble due to this issue. Fortunately, there is a solution to this issue. Apple gives them an opportunity to add a recovery contact to renew access to your Apple account. If you want to know more, you should keep on reading.
What you need to set up a recovery contact on Mac, iPhone or iPad
Starting with iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey or later, Apple gives its users a great opportunity to recover their Apple account by adding a person they trust (family or friend) as a recovery contact. In case you get locked out or can’t remember your Apple ID password, you will have an opportunity to renew the access, as the recovery contact can share a six-digit recovery code, which you’ll need to type it into your device.
It’s available to add up to five recovery contacts to your Apple account. To add a recovery contact, make sure your device (iPhone, iPad, or Mac) is running the latest software version and that Apple ID’s two-factor authentication is active. Also, it’s required to be older than 13 years old.
What are the steps to set up a recovery contact on iPhone and iPad
On your iPhone and iPad running iOS 15 or iPadOS 15 or later, you can set up a recovery contact that might belong to your family or a friend. So, if you want to set up a recovery contact via iPhone and iPad, you should follow the steps in the section below:
- First of all, you should open the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad.
- After that, you should click on your Apple account name at the top.
- Then, you should head to the section beneath your Apple account, you should tap on “Password & Security.”
- Next, you should head to Password & Security, and then you should click on “Account Recovery.”
- After that, you should head under the “Recovery Assistance” section, and click on “Add Recovery Contact.”
- By default, Apple will show you your Family Sharing Group members if you’re part of one. In the other case, you can click on “Choose Someone Else” to add another person from your Contacts list.
- After that, there would be an editable pre-written message preview displayed for the person you want to add as a recovery contact.
- Then, you should click on the “Send” button.
- After the steps above have been completed, there will be an invite sent to the person you’ve added as a recovery contact. To complete the process, that person needs to accept your request to appear on your iPhone or iPad as the recovery contact.
What are the steps to set up a recovery contact on Mac
If you want to add a recovery contact on a Mac, you should know that the process is a bit similar in case you forget your Mac’s password. It’s required to have macOS Monterey or later to add recovery contact.
So, if you want to set up a recovery contact via your Mac, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should tap on the Apple menu which is located in the top-left corner and then, you should click on “System Preferences.”
- After that, in System Preferences, you should head to the “Apple ID” icon which can be found in the top-right.
- Then, in Apple ID settings, you should head to “Password & Security” in the left column and then, you should click on the “Manage” button which can be found next to the “Account Recovery” option.
- Next, you will see the pop-up window displayed, you should click on the “+” plus icon to add a new account recovery contact.
- After that, you should tap on “Add Recovery Contact” in the window that pops up and fill in your Mac’s administrator password to proceed.
- In case you’re a part of the Family Sharing group, you’ll see the participating family members. In the other case, you can click on the “Choose Someone Else” option to pick a contact from iCloud, your Mac, or your Google account (if you’ve added one to your Mac).
- Then, you will see a blue checkmark displayed on the selected recovery contact. Select the “Continue” button.
After you have completed the steps above, you will have a customizable request message that you need to send to the person you’re adding as a recovery contact, received. To complete the process, the recipient is required to accept your invite for their contact to appear in the “Recovery Assistance” part of the “Account Recovery” section on your Mac.
All in all, it’s a great feature that gives you an opportunity not to worry about the loss of information which was has been kept on your device, as you will always have access to your account and the information.