Sending gifts is very important if you want to maintain a warm atmosphere with your family and loved ones on special days and holidays. It just so happens that Amazon does an excellent job of delivering not only all kinds of goods but gifts as well. The service has an option to buy things as a gift, i.e. to send them not to you, but personally to whom you want to give a certain thing. And also gifts can be given even if you don’t know the address of the recipient. And this is a super cool feature if you have a surprise in mind. Read on for more details.
How to send a gift
Amazon gives a great opportunity to buy an item as a gift and you don’t have to resend the gift a second time:
- Select Add to Cart on the product detail page
- Check the This order contains a gift box
- Select Proceed to Checkout
- Select a shipping address, add a new one, or allow the recipient to provide their shipping address
- Select Add gift options
- Hide prices on the packing slip for this purchase will be automatically selected:
- Include a free gift message. You can amend the gift message after you order as long as the order isn’t in the delivery process
- Gift wrap the item
- Email the recipient a gift receipt after delivery
- Select Save Gift Options
You can also change something in the gift options. However, note that you can only do this if your gift isn’t already on its way to the recipient.
Is it possible to send a gift on Amazon when you don’t know the recipient’s address
If you want to make a surprise for your friends, colleagues, or relatives, Amazon gives you the opportunity to make a simple gift. That is, you don’t have to specify the address of the recipient and in general, the address isn’t necessary. So, you can send gifts to people who have recently moved or you want to please your pen pals.
However, before you send a gift without an email address, you must realize that this option is only available to those who have subscribed to Amazon Prime. In addition, you must have at least the recipient’s email address or phone number. This feature is also available only on the mobile version, unfortunately, there is no such a possibility on the desktop version.
Here is a quick guide on how to send a gift on Amazon when you don’t know the recipient’s address:
- Add the gift to your cart using Amazon’s mobile app
- Tap Add a gift receipt for easy returns and then tap Proceed to checkout
- Once at checkout, select the option to Let the recipient provide their address and tap Continue
- Enter the recipient’s phone number or email address. This is where you can also add a custom message sent alongside your gift. You can also select gift wrapping at this stage. (Note that this typically costs another $5 for an Amazon gift bag)
- Place your order by clicking Continue. The recipient will then be notified and asked to accept the gift
Note: The feature isn’t available to send gifts with no recipient’s address to Alaska and Hawaii.
How to let people know who sent them gifts on Amazon
If you want to indicate who sent the gift and keep in touch with the recipient, here’s a little guide on how to do it:
- Find an item you want to buy and add it to your Amazon cart
- On the cart subtotal screen that opens next, click the small checkbox that says This order contains a gift
- Click proceed to checkout
- You’ll see a screen that shows here option to customize a message — it’s autopopulated with Hi, Enjoy your gift! and a note who it’s from
- Make sure the gift receipt box is checked if you want the recipient to have the option to return or exchange it. Prices are hidden
- You can include an optional gift bag for an added fee. In this example, my fee is about $5
- Click Save gift options
- Select your payment method and continue checkout as normal
And that’s how you let people know whom to send thank you cards to.