Sometimes it happens when users forget their iPhone passcode and all of them know how uncomfortable it may be. All your info, data, photos, contacts, and social media accounts can be inaccessible. Sometimes, it occurs that you have reset the passcode and don’t remember it. So, the causes can be different, but, fortunately, Apple has provided its users with an opportunity to reset their forgotten iPhone (or iPad or iPod) passcode. Hopefully, you backed up your device recently because you might lose some of your most recent data from the process.
How to reset the iPhone passcode
Before you reset your passcode, you would be required to choose a method to fully reset your device.
Also, before you start the process, make sure that you know the Apple password is connected with the Apple ID on the phone. After you have completed the process of resetting, your phone will start over brand new. It’s important to know, that when you go through the setup process, you will need the Apple ID and password to bypass Apple’s Activation Lock.
How to put your iPhone in a recovery mode, method 1
Before doing that, you should put your device in Recovery Mode. During the process, you will need a button combination used to make your computer work with your phone. The button combination varies by make and model.
For iPhone 8 or newer:
If you want to put your iPhone 8 or newer in a recovery mode, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- You shouldn’t plug your phone into your computer just yet. First of all, you should do a long-press on the side button until the slider to power down would be displayed on your iPhone. Then, you should pull the slider across the top of the screen and switch it off.
- After that, you should press the up volume, then you should press the down volume, then you should do a long-press on the side button again while plugging it into your computer. You shouldn’t hold the three buttons together.
If the process above has been completed in the right way, your phone will resemble the screenshot above.
For iPhone 7:
If you want to put your iPhone 7 in a recovery mode, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should plug the phone into your computer and press the volume down button. After that, you should hold the button until the recovery screen appears on the phone.
For iPhone 6S or Older:
If you want to put your iPhone 6 in a recovery mode, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should switch your iPhone off, then, you should plug it into your computer, and hold the home button until the recovery mode screen would be displayed on your device.
How to put your iPhone in a recovery mode, via iTunes, method 1
In case, if you still didn’t use your iPhone with iTunes and still didn’t set up Find My iPhone in iCloud, recovery mode is your only option for restoring your device. So, if you want to put your iPhone in a recovery mode via iTunes, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. After your phone has been connected, you should force restart it. To do that, you should hold down all three buttons (volume up, volume down, and wake/sleep).
- After that, you would be able to choose between 2 options Restore or Update. You should tap on Restore, your iPhone will then download software for your device.
- After the downloading process has finished, you would be able to set up and use your device.
How to put your iPhone in a recovery mode, via iTunes, method 2
If you’ve previously synced your device with iTunes, you can erase your device and its passcode on the software. To do that, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should connect your device to the computer you sync with, and open iTunes, if you’re asked for a passcode, try another computer you’ve synced with. In case this doesn’t work, you should head to recovery mode.
- After that, you should wait till iTunes would be synced to your device and make a backup. After the sync and backup would be finished, you should tap on Restore iPhone (or relevant device).
- Then, you should choose your device in iTunes and select the newest backup according to date and size.
- During the restoring process of your iOS device, the Set-Up screen would be displayed. There, you should click on Restore from iTunes Backup.
All in all, it isn’t difficult to renew access to your iPhone if you have forgotten the passcode.