Windows 10 “Your Phone” is an app that allows you to communicate with an Android phone to receive and send text messages from your PC, as well as view photos stored on your phone.
You can also connect your PC to the iPhone, but this won’t be of much use to you, as there is no iPhone app and the transfer of information takes place through the Edge browser.
Linking your phone to your PC is pretty easy, all you need to do is download the mobile app on your smartphone. Then sign in to your Microsoft account on your smartphone and PC. Setting up the connection is simple and accessible, but the removal may cause some difficulties for users.
In the “Your Phone” app on your smartphone, you won’t find the option to unlink your smartphone. You can’t unlink your smartphone to your PC just by uninstalling the mobile app. In the Your Phone app in a Windows 10 environment, your smartphone will still appear and display a message that it can’t connect to your phone.
There are several ways to properly uninstall your smartphone from your PC, and we’ll talk about them below.
Unlinking your phone using the Microsoft website
With this method, you can unlink not only your phone
- On any of your devices with Internet access, go to Microsoft Accounts at account.microsoft.com.
- Log in to your Microsoft account that your phone is connected to.
- Go to “Account”.
- In the “Devices” section, find the smartphone you want to unlink and click “Manage” (if you can’t find your phone in the list of devices, click “All devices” to see the entire list of devices).
- In the device manager, select “Delete connection with this phone”.
- Confirm the deletion.
How to delete your linked phone on your PC
You can also delete your phone from your PC. It’s easy to do and won’t take you more than 5 minutes. To do this you need to:
- Open the “Start” menu
- Open the Settings (gear icon) or use the Win + I shortcut on your keyboard
- In Windows 10 settings, go to “Phone”
- Here you will find all the phones associated with Windows 10. Depending on your device, this could be an Android smartphone or an iPhone.
- Click “Remove connection to this computer”
How to disconnect the device from the PC on an Android smartphone
You can unlink your phone from your PC via Link to Windows or Your Phone Companion
If you have a “Link to Windows” app:
- Open “Link to Windows” on your Android device.
- Click on the Microsoft account.
- You need to find “Your Phone Companion”, where you will see the previously used Microsoft account email address.
- Tap on “Your Phone Companion”.
- Click “Delete Account”.
If you have the “Your Phone Companion” app:
- Open the “Your Phone Companion” app on your smartphone.
- Tap on Settings (the gear icon in the top right corner tap).
- Tap “Accounts”.
- Find your Microsoft account and click on the button on the right “Exit”.
After deleting it, we still recommend using the first method and checking if your device is definitely deleted from your Microsoft account.
How to uninstall “Your Phone”app from your PC
Your Phone app updates often, putting a bit of strain on your system and network. This may provoke you to uninstall it completely from your PC.
You can’t just uninstall it from Apps and Features because the Uninstall button is simply disabled. However, you will be able to uninstall the app using PowerShell by following these steps:
- In Windows, open “Start” menu.
- Find “Windows PowerShell”, right-click on the top result, and select “Run as administrator”.
- Enter the following command – Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.YourPhone -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage and press Enter
After these steps, the “Your Phone” app will be uninstalled and will disappear from Apps and Features.