The Zoom video conferencing platform gained enormous popularity during the coronavirus pandemic when so many people were forced to work or study remotely. And in a way, it really saved the world from collapse.
Zoom offers various features, such as the “Pin Video” option. This feature is designed to keep you from being distracted by other participants during an online seminar.
Initially, in a Zoom conference, the participant who is currently speaking is brought to the foreground. This means that other users will see the view from their camera, the contents of the screen during a demonstration, their avatar, or just their name. For the most part, this is a very handy system, but sometimes it will just get in the way, especially when users are constantly changing.
Well, here’s how to pin someone on Zoom.
How to pin someone on Zoom on a mobile app
First, there must be at least two participants in your conference to use the pinning feature. You can pin a maximum of nine videos.
Keep in mind that you cannot pin users from an iPhone, but this feature is available if you access Zoom from an iPad.
So, if you want to pin someone on Zoom on a mobile app, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, make sure your controller for Zoom Rooms is set up. You can do this by downloading the Zoom Rooms controller app from the Zoom website.
- Then, open the Zoom app on your device and start a meeting or join an existing one.
- After that, tap on the “Manage Participants” icon on the screen to show all the people in the meeting.
- Finally, choose a participant’s name and tap on the “Select Video” option available on the right side of the screen.
Once you have completed these steps, the selected user will now be pinned on the top of your screen.
How to pin someone on Zoom on a PC
If you want to pin someone on Zoom on your PC, you have to follow these steps:
- Open the Zoom desktop client and start or join a meeting.
- Then, hover the mouse pointer over the participant’s video you want to pin.
- A menu with three dots appears in the upper right corner of the participant’s video. Tap it as soon as it appears.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select “Pin Video”.
- The participant’s video will automatically appear in the foreground of your screen.
Once you have completed these steps, you will pin someone on Zoom on your PC.
Is it possible to know if someone has pinned you on Zoom
Many Zoom users wonder if it’s possible to find out if a participant has fixed them on the screen. The answer is no. Zoom doesn’t send notifications to users when other members pin their videos
Pinning videos is a local action, meaning it only affects your screen, not the screens of other participants in the conversation. It also won’t appear in their meeting notes or in their cloud session recordings.
Some people think notification is sent to a participant when their video is attached, but it’s not. However, notifications are sent if you choose to record the user.
As soon as you pin a video from a particular user, it will automatically be placed in Zoom focus. All other participants’ videos will be reduced to thumbnails in the background. This helps you focus on a particular meeting participant, which is especially useful for presentations and training sessions.
What is the difference between the Pin and Spotlight functions in Zoom
The difference between Pinning and Spotlighting on Zoom is quite substantial. Let’s take a look at some of the better-known ones.
You cannot influence who is on Spotlight at any given time. The only person who has power over Spotlight users is the host. On the other hand, you can control pinned users and pin people to the front as many times as you want.
Pinning videos works between two users, allowing you to easily switch between active conversations. On the other hand, Spotlight requires a minimum of three people to be present in order for it to work properly.
While anyone can use the Pinning Video tool during a meeting, the Spotlight feature is only available to event organizers. This means that people won’t be able to change the current speaker using Spotlight, but they will be able to use the Pinning Videos feature to get another participant’s attention.