If you have been using the Internet for a long period of time, you have probably faced the issue of annoying playing ads. As many users get dissatisfied with those ads, the web browser gives an opportunity to mute tabs. The mute tab feature silences everything in a specific tab, meaning that even the loudest video ad won’t annoy you.
How to mute tabs in Google Chrome
Of course, Google Chrome is one of the most popular web browsers, despite this fact, it still doesn’t have an initially installed way to mute tabs like other browsers have.
However, Google Chrome provides users with an opportunity to mute the whole website. This means that if you mute a tab, any other tab that’s on the same website will also be muted.
If you want to mute the website in Google Chrome, you should follow the steps which are mentioned in the section below:
First of all, you should do a right-click on a tab that’s on the website you want to mute.
After that, you should click on Mute Site.
If you want to unmute it, you can always do a right-click on a tab that’s on that website again and tap on Unmute Site.
Surely, if you want to mute the specific tab, it’s possible. To do that, you should install a specific extension, For example, the Tab Muter extension is a good choice.
To use this extension, you should follow the instructions which are mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should open the Tab Muter page and then, you should tap on Add to Chrome which is located in the top-right, and after that, you should tap on Add Extension.
- After that, you will see that an icon that which displays a black speaker will be shown in your Extensions list. You will be able to view it in the top-right corner of Chrome. In case, there is no black speaker icon displayed, you should tap on the puzzle piece icon and find it there. You can also click the thumbtack icon which is located near to the Tab Muter icon to make sure it’s always visible.
- In the end, you should complete the process of muting. To do that, you should tap on black speaker icon. After you have done that, the tab will me muted immediately.
When you want to unmute the tab, just click that black speaker icon again.
How to mute tabs in Microsoft Edge or Firefox
It’s available to mute Microsoft Edge’s and Firefox’s tab in the same way, but the process is more straightforward than in Google Chrome. So, to mute tabs in Microsoft Edge or Firefox, you should follow the steps which are mentioned below:
- First of all, you should do a right-click on he tab that is necessary to be muted.
- After that, you should click on Mute Tab.
- In case if you want to unmute the tab, you can always do it just by right-clicking it again and choosing Unmute Tab.
- There is one more way, you can also open the tab and hold Control + M on your keyboard.
How to mute tabs in Safari
It’s possible to mute tabs in Safari, but there is some limitation. Only mute tabs that are actively making sound can be muted. If you try to mute a tab when there’s no sound coming from it, the option will be either gone or grayed out.
So, if you want to mute tabs in Safari, you should follow the steps which are mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should make sure that you have opened only that tab that you want to be muted. You should tap on Window which is located at the top of the screen and then you should click on Mute This Tab. If you want to have this tab unmuted, you should open the Window menu again and tap on Unmute This Tab.
- If there are several tabs opened, you should do a right-click on the tab you want to mute and click Mute Tab. To unmute, right-click again and select Unmute Tab.
- It’s also possible to mute many tabs except for one. To do this, you should tap on Window at the top of the screen and then you should click on Mute Other Tabs.
As you can see, the process isn’t complicated at all.